Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:30:57 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Huntington House Furniture Mfg.

Started by gene, April 13, 2019, 06:25:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rbxE6yM-A

This short video shows Huntington House furniture being made. They say their furniture is for "... clients who want to invest in their furniture".

Two thoughts:

1. I want to sit on my furniture, not invest in it.

2. Who would want to invest in furniture where the joints are held together with 2" wire staples? Or I am just being a wood glue snob and it doesn't matter if you use staples or glue?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

Glue and dowels are better than Glue and Staples.  I think given the production environment - the staples hold the joint tight while the glue dries and there's no stoppage in production for example if the joints had to be clamped together for a few hours too much down time.  I also think if they only shoot one staple to hold a joint  that won't weaken the joint like when they shoot three staples into one area.  The staples don't split out the wood as much as a nail would.  This construction is under the rags - not exposed joinery that's scrutinized - and it's probably figured in to be enough strength to last the average life span of one owner.
I never heard of this manufacturer - is it competitively priced ?  The good names I remember and whose still standing ? - were Pennsylvania House, Baker, John Stuart, Karges, Henredon, Kittenger to name a few - I'm sure their construction was similar to this video.   It seems you need a lot of training to be allowed to finish the legs -  that's some tough quality control there :)
SA