Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:36:05 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Fray

Started by 65Buick, March 19, 2019, 02:29:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Guys, I have a fray where a staple was removed. What can I do?

MinUph

Without seeing it, it is hard to say. A little clear glue and lay the threads down might work.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

March 19, 2019, 07:26:04 pm #2 Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 07:36:46 pm by gene
If a thread or threads are sticking up, I never cut them. I use a needle or regulator and gently push them back down. Sometimes I go over 1/2 inch and push down, catching the thread sticking up and it pulls that thread down.

If theads are cut, I will take threads from a scrap of fabric, 5" or so, and put the thread on a small curved needle. I can match the color if needed. I go into the fabric about 1" from the torn threads and have the needle point come up one thread before the torn thread. I basically reweave the hole. It may take one thead, or several threads going warp and waft. I have had good success with this. I learned to do this from a video on tapestry restoration. When done weaving, I gently pull the thread so the end of it just drops inside the fabric. I then cut the other end close to the fabric and push it down under the fabric if necessary. Putting an inch or so on either side of the hole, under the fabric, seems to keep these small threads from moving over time.

On a different note: Did you hear about the thread that went into a bar and ordered a drink? The bartender said "We don't serve threads in here." And the bartender threw the thread out the door onto the sidewalk. The thread got up, twisted himself all up and unravelleled his ends. He went back into the bar and ordered a drink. The bartender said, "Aren't you that thread that I just threw out of here?" The thread said, "No. I'm a frayed knot."
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!