Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:30:25 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New poly batting for sofa back cushions.

Started by gene, March 14, 2019, 07:21:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I have 8 sofa back cushions that I need to stuff with new poly batting.

I can buy 5#, 10#, and 15# bags of loose poly fill.

Each back cushion is 26" x 16" x 7". How many pounds of poly fill would I need for each cushion?

I've looked online and can't find anything definitive.

Thank you,

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

March 14, 2019, 05:16:45 pm #2 Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:38:20 pm by 65Buick
omg sofa. That is a lot of fill.

kodydog

March 14, 2019, 06:14:52 pm #3 Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 06:17:06 pm by kodydog
Just wondering Sofa, we buy approximately one of those bags at a time. It weighs 30 lbs and lasts us about 6 months. How long will it take you to burn through 100 lbs of loose fill?

Gene, I can't say I've ever filled 8 back cushions with loose fill before. Given your dimensions I'm guessing a generous 5 lbs per cushion. I've never really weighed how much I put into a cushion. I just fill it until it feels right. I'm thinking once you get the first one stuffed, weigh it and do all the rest the same. As for an estimate and guessing here, I would say, to be safe, 40 lbs for 8 cushions?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. I'm putting an estimate together and want to make sure I don't charge too much and also not to charge too little.

Buying 100 pounds would be more expensive than the seat foam, I think. :-)

SofaD, where do you get your poly fill? US Foam sells 5# and 15# bags. I like those black bags. They have a menacing kind of look to them.

Sunshine Foam sells 10# bags that are a few cents cheaper.

Thanks again,

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Kody: I get a lot of walk-ins off the street that want their loose-fill cushions and pillows re-packed. So 100 lbs. only lasts me a few months.

Gene: I got mine from Foam Products of Dallas. Their salesman brings it free when he's coming this way anyway. I doubt they would ship to Ohio at a reasonable price.

I used to get mine from Ronco in California. With shipping, it came out to around $2.80 lb. The stuff I'm getting from Dallas is $1.80 lb. It is virgin fiber, which I am told means that it has never been re-processed (I thought it meant that nobody has ever had sex in it).

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban