Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:13:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cushion crown

Started by 65Buick, February 22, 2019, 04:59:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Got a T cushion, originally flat and no batting. Customer requests a crown.
I have a good piece of 4" i was hoping to use.
At that height though, would you sandwich a piece of 1/2" between two 2" for a really nice crown?
I was hoping to just use batting, but in this case I think it demands more.

MinUph

You can get away with two payers of Dacron. One cut about 1.5" away from the edge of the foam and the other wrapped as normal. This give a decent crown but Dacron will flatten out with age. making a sandwich is a good way just make it larger than the finish size by about a inch all around and then cut the final size when its all glued up. If you want to finish at 4" foam at the boxing use 2-2" pieces with an 1" inside. You will probably want to shave the edges off the one in piece so it doesn't show a ridge after awhile.
  You can also grind off the edges of foam but it is messy and time consuming. But it gives the best cushion in my opinion.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Cool. So if I go the sandwich route would I cut but boxing a hair larger, like 4.5"?

MinUph

I generally cut 4 1/4 for 4" foam but yes a bit larger for a seam allowance. Crowned cushions usually have a slightly smaller boxing than a non crowned cushion.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Analytically, a lot of patterning and effects can be realized in doing knife edge decorator pillows (no box).
So crown is controlled by the face(2) size/pattern of the pillow.  That is crown is controlled by the side
arcs cut in making the two sides.

This allows one to control the arc related to the pillow.

Carrying this forward in making box cushions with arc works very well.  It can done effectively several ways?  Arcing the face panels is another way.  The arc is engineered by the size of those.

Much of cushioning in older (?) days, the technique was along these reasoning.

Crown cushions can come out nice and fit the space in the furniture.

Crowning can be done with foam, marshal spring units , quite effectively.

Doyle

gene

Is the cushion made to be reversible? Is there a crown on both sides? If yes, make sure the crown is not too high so the cushion will sit on the deck fairly flat without gaps under the sides of the cushion.

This can be a problem on flat decks without a front edge.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

65Buick

Actually Gene, it wasn't specified. I was at the designer's house a she said to make it like her sofa which I believe was down.
The other thing is that the owner has 3 dogs, one of which jumped up on the chair while I was there.
Fortunately this will be the last thing I do so there is a bit of time to ponder.

Just on another note, the chair was stuffed using 100% synthetic cottonmI don't know of anyone who carries this stuff but it's a nice fill, doesn't compress. In my case I will use cotton.

baileyuph

What is the padding (cushion) fill "100 % synthetic cottonmI? Just another term for synthetic?

Or is it a combination?

Never heard this term used - don't think?

Doyle

65Buick

Doyle,

I've just seen this fiber referred to as synthetic cotton because it looks and acts like cotton felt... It is not dacron, it is a much smaller fiber.

For this cushion, I realize it would not be flipped. That's because it's floral and the boxing would be upside-down. So, if I take 4" foam, add a layer of pink 1/2 inch slightly smaller, then some cotton, and finally wrap top, bottom, front with dacron, will that give me a nice crown just on the top?

baileyuph

Building crown cannot ignore the geometry requirement in both the filler and cushion patterning. 

Actually the crown is driven mainly in the face plates (top/bottom) of the cushion.  The overall thickness
of the crowned cushion is driven by the boxing.

Long ago, crown cushions were more in vogue than today.  Fillers were accomplished more differently,

before the flat foam wave, often it was coils and loose fillers of that period (cotton, down, etc.) - to name
some important type.

Thanks for the clarification on your material.

Doyle