Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:43:07 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Repair - are you sure ?

Started by SteveA, January 30, 2019, 11:57:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

kodydog

We were asked to look at a recliner under warranty. When we got to the customers house the first thing I noticed were 4 very exuberant boys tearing through the house. Cat in the hat Thing 1 and Thing 2 came to mind. When I asked the wife, are they all yours I think a small tear came to her eye as she shook her head up and down.

When they showed me the recliner I was in total disbelief. It literally looked like someone had carried it onto the roof and threw it off. The ceiling had a hole in it that daylight could been seen through so that possibility is not out of question. But more likely the boys used it for football practice. I stood there with my mouth open, they gave me that "can you fix it" look.

I told them I would discuss it with the store owner. When I got back to the store I told Becky, I know it's under warinty but there must be some kind of exclusion clause stating under normal use. I didn't bother to give Becky a quote, she never asked. I don't know what she decided to do. I'm guessing she replaced the recliner.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

Go for it Steve!

Take whatever off/loose to get to the spring support framing with your big clamps and
pull the loose (looks like the rear spring support) frame with springs at the rear back in
position.  Then, no one knows better than you, reinforce the frame and connection to the chair frame.

Can't tell but from looking at the springs - they are still connected in their clips across the front main
frame.

You can do it and probably charge from $150 (just saying) to maybe a little more?

Probably more profit in it than some upholstery work.

Good one to explore - if you can get that kind of money -  the next will get easier.

Just a comment:  looks like the user was sticking anything available (tire part) in the area to support
the spring assembly.

I have done a few like this and fixed them in about an hour and half.

But, analysis first.

Thanks for showing,

Doyle

SteveA

I agree with you Doyle - but there probably isn't enough cash available in the job to do it right.  They didn't tell me how it was damaged but they sure don't make furniture like they used too ! :)

SA

baileyuph

They don't make them like they use to -- right!  Probably won't - at least at the large scale.

If they did, the market wouldn't support the production.  Not enough money in their budgets.

Did you notice that long staples are largely responsible for frame joinery?

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: SteveA on January 31, 2019, 06:28:44 am
I agree with you Doyle - but there probably isn't enough cash available in the job to do it right.  They didn't tell me how it was damaged but they sure don't make furniture like they used too !

__________________________________________________________________________________

I make my best money doing those kind of repairs. You just have to resist the temptation to try and make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Even a low budget fix will likely leave it better than it was when it was new.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

January 31, 2019, 04:41:46 pm #6 Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 06:36:59 pm by baileyuph
Best Money!  Sofa knows - he is the one who helped me find a source for stronger spring tying
material (stake wire).  That works also - Sofa.

I love to do classic work but when it comes to the book keeper there is a message.

Actually the repair internal is far stronger than factory (which is made we know where), because
I use good glue and screws to replace those long staples used during manufacturing (I don't see
any glue coming from off shore.  Too expensive is the message. 

There is considerable referral work - because we all understand what the market is today.

Much of the repair work is on pieces less than a month old.  It isn't necessarily a dummy's job,
there are challenges in all directions. 

Sofa - now the factory is sending bed room furniture repair work (new stuff) my way.  It is mostly wood
repairs - not refinishing  - which pleases me.

While on who makes most new furniture - Sofa would be one who has knowledge of what
La-Z- Boy is marketing today.  I did some new furniture repair for one of their stores.

Doyle

kodydog

Quote from: baileyuph on January 31, 2019, 06:48:46 am

Did you notice that long staples are largely responsible for frame joinery?

Doyle

Oh boy have I noticed. Makes my hands sore just thinking about it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

I don't even bother to pull out those large staples - just snip them and leave the crown
SA

gene

I remember Keith, by hammer and hand, commenting on how people who are assembling the furniture think that if they miss the butt joint with one 2" staple, then missing it with 3 or 4 more 2" staples will make it better. I actually saw that once. A spot of glue was all that was holding the butt joint together. 

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

If it has to be cheap to sell, and it does - glue isn't used often. 

Actually there has been significant reduction in the use of hardwood.

If consumers refused to buy, things would then change.

Doyle