Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 02:48:22 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Make it Rock ?

Started by SteveA, January 10, 2019, 07:18:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

Three legs were split at the fork - many old repairs.  Customer said  "make it rock again"  - don't worry about the finished woodwork. 

MinUph

Is it just me I can't see anything on photobucket. Just a black screen.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

MinUph

Steve,
  I can see the small versions here but when I click on them and go to Photobucket the screen is mostly black. That service is about done I  believe. At least it is for me.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Steve
I couldn't open them either (until I clicked on the links you provided).

Testing my thumbnails:

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Now thats funny I can see Dennis' but not Steve's. I wonder why that is.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

I can open Dennis' file fine.  Possibly if you enter the Photobucket address on the allowed site for your firewall it may help.  Also allowing third party cookies from your browser is worth a try but don't do it if you're overly concerned about security.  By the way - nice looking bench ?     Dennis when you used PB which link did you select to copy.  There is image, direct link - HTTP - and another I can't remember
Thanks, Steve

sofadoc

Copy and paste the img thumb

MinUph

If it was a firewall thing I wouldn't see Dennis' either. I think maybe doing what Dennis said about the img thumbnail if that isn't what your doing Steve. Seems like a poorly written site to me.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

What was your solution to make it rock again? I'm guessing wood dowels from underneath and glue.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

January 11, 2019, 05:35:51 am #10 Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 05:39:34 am by SteveA
Here is another photo ........copy and paste using image - let me know if it works when selecting it and opening it through PB.

This was a local movers damage.  They had the bad fortune of moving this chair without pointing out all the splits on the bridle joints; nails, and re-glues.  The mover said just glue it back - no finishing work.
Repairing with dowels would have been a strengthening addition but I opted to go a different way for the following reasons.  For the repair I took apart all the repaired areas  I  backed out all the old nails and scraped off all the old glue.  When I re-glued the broken bridle joints I used epoxy - after the repairs - I fitted each rocker into its forks - filing where necessary so the joint was snug but not forcing the joint apart.  I didn't use dowels because I would have needed to elongate the dowel holes because when you put the rocker back it's arched - putting the rocker straight into dowels would have been off and elongated holes defeats some of the gain using the dowels.  To get around that - when I connected the rockers I epoxied the entire connection giving strength straight ahead and strength to the repaired side pieces of the legs that are now epoxied to the outside surfaces of the rockers.  When I set the chair upright I could see that there really isn't sideways stress on the legs - it's more pressure downward.  In the end this customer's chair was greatly improved than the condition before it was moved

https://beta-static.photobucket.com/images/ad181/SteveA_2010/0/9a079b24-4ef8-48b9-b29e-5b4dcc5725cd-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

sofadoc

The photo still doesn't work. But the blue hyperlink does.

kodydog

When I click on Steves photo I get a white page with an streaming circle that just keeps spinning and spinning. I noticed I was not logged in but when I tried it told me my pass ward was wrong. I do not feel like messing with photobucket today. SD's photo works. All those adds though.

Steves link worked and nice job on the repair there.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

No Steve clicking the pic is ng
Link works.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on January 11, 2019, 06:39:10 am
I do not feel like messing with photobucket today. SD's photo works. All those adds though.

I suspect this is why this discussion board is drying up. It's so-o-o-o-o much easier to post pics and vids on Facebook.