Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:31:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cane Seating

Started by SteveA, January 03, 2019, 05:01:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

Photobucket seems improved.  First it's working and beyond that when you post several photos after you copy the first one you don't have to go searching the Library to find the next one in line - it's right there.   
This seat has an unusual install - the spline was on the side so I had to position the inside rail over the corner of the work bench to prevent bouncing when hammering in the spline. This customer has 6 of them but wanted me to do one to see if she liked the job.  $ 100.00 w/pick up - delivery back -and sales tax

MinUph

Might be working for you Steve, but I dont see the pics there.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

MinUph

Yes those links work fine.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

I'm not sure if I'm looking at this right. Does the seat remove and then replace the caning? Neat chairs.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Looks like a very nice job Steve. I'm sure the other 5 will be a little easier.
kodydog, the seat does come out and then the caning is done.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Never seen canning attached on the side that way. Great job Steve.

Mojo

SteveA

and you don't realize what the difficulty is until you start.  On a chair with a groove cut into the frame it makes for a firm insertion of spline.  The four legs provide plenty of support as you work.  With the seat frame taken out to work it  there is not a good way to hold it while inserting the spline.  I thought of clamping it with wood clamps and stand it straight up for each side that I was working on but realized I'd be clamping the cane from being able to pull the sheet tight.  Also with the seat frame held vertically it's harder to see the lines on the top surface and line up the warps and wefts to present evenly.  Took twice the time of an ordinary seat.  The next chair I will soak the cane longer and heat the water with an emulsion heater before installing to make the cane even softer and easier to work.   
The color was made with a solvent oak dye - one coat of seal coat and one coat of satin lacquer
SA