Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 08:19:49 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Ya'll Are Going To Be Shocked

Started by Mojo, December 30, 2018, 06:04:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I actually sat down and sewed yesterday.

We have a golf cart that we use at events to get around the grounds on and the seats looked pretty old and worn.
So I bought some marine vinyl in a carbon fiber pattern and in our company colors and sat down to get this project done.
You guys would have laughed if you were there. I laid the 3 rolls of fabric on the table, looked at the seats, looked at the fabric
and thought to myself " Where the hell do I begin ? ". I had a serious brain fade moment and couldn't remember which direction to go in.

It has been probably 5 years or so since I recovered seating for anything and about 8 years since I did my last big marine job. I nearly forgot how to pattern and arrange the fabric cuts. I am doing the cushions in 3 color's in a vertical pattern and had to lay them all out in differing widths. I sewed them together using a simple fell seam but now am wondering if I want to go back and top stitch for some extra " pop ".

I am going to put some sew foam in the back cushion and pleat it in two sections. I forgot how enjoyable this work is and really enjoyed
being in the shop all alone, Motown music blaring and no phone calls or interruptions. It was actually like taking a tranquilizer.....relaxing and enjoyable.

Will try and post pictures when I am done. Never thought I would get back to sewing after my wife fired me from the awning company.
I was surprised that once I got going how everything I have learned over the years came back and the project just flowed. Maybe senility hasn't set in yet..........but then again..... lol : )

Mojo

MinUph

It's like riding a bike. Except you don't actually fall off while remembering. I'm sure it's going to be a nice job.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Mojo good to hear you still have the feel for seat work. 

Golf cart seats -- solid foam -- no springs!

Sew foam ---  how thick?  The pattern and where it is used can add to fitting issues on the edges.

Do you still have one of your machines you used for this type of work?

On these seats, how are they fastened?  Many are stapled. 

Good to hear you are reliving what you were called to do.  You are the man!

Enjoy,

Doyle

SteveA

It took you a bunch of years but you finally came full circle.  With a little practice the Mrs. may even consider a stipend for you
SA

kodydog

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike