Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:47:03 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Batting width

Started by 65Buick, December 14, 2018, 07:39:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Ok, two very quick questions. The project is a simple bench cushion. It has walls at either end.
How much larger to cut the foam? About half an inch so it stays put?

And second, my big roll of dacron is the 30" variety. So with the cushion being 21", it's not wide enough. Can I butt on one side or do I need to just go get some regular width dacron?

kodydog

On those bench cushions I tend to go for the flat look. This is my own personal preference. If I decide to use dacron to help fill out the cushion I split the dacron. Generally on foam I add 1/2" all around for push but I can see your concern with the walls on each side. In this case 1/2" overall should work.

You're saying the cushion is 21" front to back and you would like to wrap the dacron completely around. Its nice to keep a roll of the wider stuff just for this purpose. But if you are short on storage space or aren't making an order soon there are two things you can do. You can simply add a later to the top and bottom without wrapping it all the way around. Usually this will give you a good look. On those jobs where is has to wrap all the way around and I'm out of the wide stuff, I will glue a layer to one side. And on the other side I will wrap it all around the front so it meets at the top edge. I have tried joining the two layers of dacron in the middle of the front edge but once the cushion is stuffed I can always feel a little lump where the dacron is joined. I have also had another problem joining them on the front edge and that is after time the dacron tends to sag and bunch up on the front of the cushion.

When you are butting two pieces of dacron together be sure to spray those two ends with glue. Let it dry a little and then pinch them together. Its a messy job but this will give you a joint that will never come apart.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

Thank you Kody. I did not think of that.

MinUph

Id just wrap it on the top and run that piece around the front then add another piece on the bottom and staple it to the top boxing of dacron. You have enough to railroad the dacron for one piece. I would also leave the ends without Dacron just spray a line of glue on the top and bottom piece to hold it on the edges. If you put Dacron on the ends it is liable to wrinkle the fabric if it ends up tight between the wall. This of course depends on the finish size of the cushion in relation to the wall spacing. We only use the 54-55" stuff. I find it is more economical in the long run. Unless I have a large job where the 27" fits better for less waste.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Ah shoot Paul. I bought a bunch of the 30" width thinking that's what I'd use the most of. So much for that.

Staple it you say? In what manner?

MinUph

Staple it together with a hand stapler like a P22 stapler. Staple it every 2-3".
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website