Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:20:29 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Performance

Started by SteveA, November 28, 2018, 09:44:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sg9bAjzhn6uJe2qCpek_mnpCct7XwaOE/view?usp=sharing

Photobucket doesn't work today - I'm trying out Google Share Photo.  A designer sent me to a house to see what can be done for 3 torn backrest cushions.  The inserts are a blend of down and feathers.  Three cushions are torn in the same place.  The welt stitches didn't fail but the fabric in front of the welt is failing.  All the cushions are torn near the turn.  The family are hard users and the fabric is course but the manufacturer calls the fabric high performance.  The sectional is only 3 years old - any thoughts why and does the turn have anything to do with it ?
Thanks
SA

kodydog

November 28, 2018, 11:29:08 am #1 Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 11:32:22 am by kodydog
Did you look at the seem from the inside of the cushion? Looks like the fabric is a loose weave and the seem may have unraveled.  We have had this happen before. Too bad they don't add a backing to these loosely woven fabrics especially when they call the fabric "high performance". We've learned to add glue to the seams to these fabrics that unravel simply from handling it.

You may be able to carefully take it apart and make a larger seam. Use a small stitch and apply white glue to keep it from unraveling further.

Another thought that occurred to me is the welt is all wiggly. That can happen when the customer washes the casings in a washing machine. The welt core shrinks and causes the wiggle. Machine washing will make fabric unravel like crazy.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

November 28, 2018, 04:50:28 pm #2 Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 04:51:32 pm by gene
I think KodyD nailed the "What can I do?" question.

As to how it happened, with a loose weave I always make sure I stay at the 1/2" seam allowance, especially around the corners. I think the sewer did not do this especially around the corners. There just wasn't enough face fabric sewn to the boxing and welt cord. With kids sliding over the sofa on a regular basis (my guess as to the kids), the corners took the brunt of the abuse and didn't have enough threads sewn deep enough into the seam.

I've had loose weave fabric that I able to pull the fabric out from the seams myself. I then did what kodyD said and used a very small stitch length and then went over all the seams with either fabric glue or Seam Stopper. That's a real pain.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

This is Kravet fabric and both observations are right on. (Thanks)  I did open the casing and the welt was sewn to the plate and still intact but the fabric tore beyond that area. I do believe the sewing was ok but the weave was just too loose as you both recognize.  It should have been backed to be high performance quality.  In this photo you can see the brown background stitching shows too much when the Upholsterer pulled the fabric tight - maybe too tight for a loose weave.  Client  doesn't like the dark seam lines against the light color fabric. 
SA

65Buick

That's a bit frightening Gene. I know my area designers prefer Kravet. There's no way that should happen. If it were me I'd bring it up with a rep.

baileyuph

Fabric problem!  All fabric suppliers are presenting cheaper made stuff - their competition does and
price sells.

The couch cushions problem is at a place where force vectors are stronger (less flex) and the results
are obvious.  The fabric even looks questionable plus looks badly.  The welt cord was cut on a bias
and the weave in the cord being so weak just looks less than quality.

Three years old, a lot of the new furniture today isn't holding up that long - use varies of course.  When
this type of issue comes in, the recommendation is go back to seller and just order replacement
parts for these kind of problems.  They get parts shipped in (China) like this for incredibly low prices.  Then, transfer the filler (insert)s. 

So many of the older domestic names today still sell things but quality has changed due to consumer
demand on the price issue.

Recently, I changed out three cushions with problems and the vendor showed me the invoice -- the
zippered boxed cushions were shipped for about $100.  A custom shop in a situation like this has too
many constraints to get very involved in this type of issue.

Doyle