Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:34:18 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

My Spelling ?

Started by SteveA, October 14, 2018, 10:55:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

A dealer drops off a tortoise shell box for repair.  The top is cracked and one side is tented up 1/8 in. above the other side.  I used a commercial heat gun and it softened the raised part enough that I could press it back in place. A few drops of white glue in the seam and left it to dry over night.  There were sterling silver letters inside the box.  I lay them out and can't figure what they say.  I know there is no "d" in hankerchief  and the first two letters look like "he"  - nothing makes sense !  Maybe it's the ladies initials ?  maybe words or letters missing. The letters "a-n-d" look like different text than the rest - maybe it's what's left from a partially missing word.   So I ask my wife what she thinks - of course she says handkerchief and lovingly reminds me how I wasted my time in school.  Anyway I filled the crack in with timbermate.  Didn't want to use anything too strong and non-reversible on an antique.  I'll color the filler with shellac + trans tint - adding earth-tone pigments to make the final semi opaque color while trying to copy the translucent shell  - final top coat with lacquer just along the filled line.  The repair won't prevent someone from removing the top - fusing it back together and relaying it flat. 

I'm sure the letters a-n-d were replaced at some point and although not done too  badly - no where as nice as the original silversmith workmanship. 
Thank goodness for the endangered protections today - the animal is safe ........ there are great faux plastic alternatives available if splices are needed in this kind of restoration. 
SA

SteveA

October 20, 2018, 11:34:00 am #1 Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 11:36:57 am by SteveA

I think what was making me doubt the spelling was I had the H upside down and it looked like He  -
The a.n.d was different text - which was replaced - and I couldn't spell Handkerchiefs because the d isn't pronounced -
It's finished - the crack is still visible but it's flat, filled, colored; and I didn't want to aggressively work on the crack and damage any of the shell by over sanding or overfilling.
Also got the corners back on - all the silver pieces had small studs soldered onto the back.  Made it easy to line up and to stay put.  A few holes were off because of the movement of the shell from shrinkage.  A few holes were filled and I made a few new holes in the right places. I glued the silver pieces down with Gorilla glue - the waterbased white glue - it dries perfectly clear so even with a little squeeze out between the letters I wasn't concerned.   A lot of work for a little box - I'll charge $ 100.00 and the dealer will say - for that little box ?  Than I'll hit him with the box and he could reach in and get a Han(d)kerchief to wipe the tears! 
SA 

kodydog

Nice job Steve. Funny how people think the price should be in relation to the size of the project. I love customers who call and say, I have a small chair... The funny thing is it no longer bothers me when they say, that much?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

Right - and I kind of remember Doc had a good story and comment for those type of bargain hunters - ignore them, and eventually they show back up
SA