Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:12:38 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Press

Started by SteveA, October 08, 2018, 01:20:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

Saturday I stopped at a tag sale - this press with 6 extra dies in the Break-stone box was marked $ 8.00.  I have a button press but wondered is there something I could use this for - snaps  ?  I did buy it -  Anyway couldn't think of any upholstery purpose - anyone have any thoughts to put it to good use ?  I have a good hand held metal punch that does sheet metal easily but this press weighs about 50 lbs - bench top monster
SA

kodydog

Could it be some kind of Metalworking Tool?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

It looks possible to adapt it for snap dies.

I'm like you.......8 bucks........Hell! I'll buy it just to keep anyone else from having it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

It's definitely a metal punching tool.  When I typed it into google new ones are $ 600.00 plus.  I could not figure out a use for it and I don't have a need for it.  The portable one I have does the job on sheet metal. 

Doc tomorrow I have to go look at a Massage chair that the movers took apart and couldn't figure out how to put back together.  I asked them where they purchased it - they said " The Dump in Texas "
Eyebrow raising name for a store - have you seen what kind of quality goods this store has  ?
SA

sofadoc

I've been to The Dump. Their name is meant to imply that hundreds of high end manufacturers have "dumped" all their excess inventory on them for immediate liquidation.

PRICES SLASHED!!
EVERYTHING MUST GO!!
FAMOUS BRANDS FOR PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR!!

It's one of those "bait and switch" superstores. They advertise $5K furniture for a mere fraction of the price. But all too often, the furniture is cheap junk that has been falsely marked up so they can mark it back down to what it's really worth in the first place. They are one of the best at tricking people into believing that they're saving thousands.

And they have a lot of "decoy" furniture. Nice looking stuff with a big price tag that has been greatly reduced. BUT there is only 1 to choose from (and the color is usually ugly as hell). So the customer gets diverted over to something more expensive.

I've repaired stuff from The Dump. The quality usually ranges from mediocre to poor.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

https://beta-static.photobucket.com/images/ad181/SteveA_2010/0/14c985a1-820c-48f0-b92c-3acdf1a642c7-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

https://beta-static.photobucket.com/images/ad181/SteveA_2010/0/7fe7f826-2ff4-46f8-9d9c-cae0a0ba6b0a-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Turns out that the mover who took apart the Massage chair gave up on assembly.  They contacted a third party service who regularly takes items apart and puts them back together for the movers.  Third party tried to put the chair together without success.  The mover called me and asked if I'd try.  I watched two videos on line of how to assemble these chairs but not  a lot of help.  It takes two people to do this and it would be even nicer if I could have watched some one do one before committing to this job but I got pushed into it too fast.  The chair lists for over $ 2500.00 and if it couldn't be assembled the customer can ask for a new chair.  I tried to find an authorized service that provides assembly for these chairs but no luck after numerous calls.  On my first visit to look at the chair there were two power cables, two electrical wire snap together connectors, and 8 air hoses that connect with nipples.  Supposedly color coded but some of the color bands fell off.

I get my neighbor Mark - semi retired contractor to go to the house with me.  Two 60 plus year old dudes with glasses and bad knees.  No fun kneeling down and trying to see underneath what's needing connecting.  We figured out the third party connected the hydraulic arm first before connecting the hoses.  That connection pushed the backrest away far enough that the hoses didn't reach each other. 
I don't know if anyone here has ever had to assemble one of these chairs but it's a pain.  Well cheers for us seniors we got it together - the customer tested it and it was working great.  Than the customer asked me how long the warranty was and I wanted to say " as soon as we leave " but I had to be nice and said check with the moving company.   These chairs can run up to $ 4000.00 - made in China and when they are shipped to a Home expect to put them together yourself because support is hard to find.  Easy to buy one of these chairs but support - forget it.