Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:10:05 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

In a Jiffy

Started by SteveA, October 02, 2018, 09:06:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

I was out on a service call and saw a steamer at the curb.  Took it back to the shop - the switch was broken but other wise looked fine.  I considered bypassing the switch but than gave Jiffy a quick call and a new switch was $ 10.00 - I ordered it - 3 days later installed it and I had steam in 3 minutes.  This machine works great.  My previous steamer was a tag sale purchase - high heat and high pressure nozzle.   I cleaned up the crystals formed by hard water and than it worked great.  The first job I used it on was a disaster - the customer bought a new sofa and submitted a complaint that one cushion was wrinkled.  The store said if I couldn't steam the wrinkles out they will replace the casing.  I fired up the steamer - put the wide nozzle on that had 4 ports and 1 minute later the to of the cushion had 4 tracks melted into the fabric.  Felt like a dummy but thank goodness a casing was available.  This Jiffy steamer isn't for removing the grease around your rims like the other one was  :) Nice new toy for $ 10.00. Old switch pictured

sofadoc

Yeah, you have to be careful about getting too close to the fabric with the steam head. Especially with velvets and chennilles. On those types of fabrics, I wrap some black bottom around the head.

But with most sturdy fabrics, you can steam as close as you want to.

As you now know, the inner workings of a Jiffy steamer are pretty simple, and most of the replacement parts are cheap (switch, fusible link, thermostat). Only the heating element is pricey.

You may have got all the crystal sediment from the reservoir. But it wouldn't hurt to run some cleaner through the heating element. Jiffy sells it.

https://www.barrdisplay.com/jiffy-steamer-liquid-cleaner.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrszdBRDWARIsAEEYhrdHyki0g87gGNSRH5dfPW7_jLmrC_zj1u4mabct4CeaHjtq6A0DmKMaAlybEALw_wcB
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

that sediment was on the other steamer - the one I wiped out the cushion top with.  I just stood there thinking to myself why didn't I do a test somewhere that didn't show. 
My Wife is right - I'm a dummy :)
I had taken the trigger apart on that old steamer because the water couldn't pass through the opening.  Than I ran CLR through the unit.  After I ruined the casing with that steamer I never used it again. 
This new Jiffy replaces it for sure.  It's a good idea to put a fabric in between ironing or steaming when you're not sure - thanks for that advice.
That sofa fabric was a really cheap - low line Ashley furniture.  The reported wrinkles were really pressure marks because the fabric had no strength -  but I did a number on it. 
I'm still laughing about that day
SA

kodydog

October 02, 2018, 04:39:49 pm #3 Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 04:45:46 pm by kodydog
Nice roadside find Steve. My jiffy Steamer was purchased new, 30 years ago. Needless to say I have replaced most of the parts, including the heating element twice. We use ours's daily and go into panic mode when it stops working.

So that project you have going on to the right there? What's going on?  Love your latest projects.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

The Jiffy steamer has got to be one of the best tools in any type of fabric trade. My first one lasted some 40 years before it bit the dust. I changed a couple of parts and then gave up and replaced it. It was the old model 2 with a bottle that didn't have the plunger in it. And the plunger part was not in the water cup either. Anyway now I have a new one, and actually we have 2 at the shop. One came with the business when I bought it. The one that I got with the shop has the metal head which I hate. It drips like crazy until it gets hot then the dripping slows down. My plastic head ones didn't and dont do this. Must be being in the air conditioning makes it cold and then condensation abounds when steaming starts for awhile. I'm thinking of replacing the hose and head with the plastic version but I don't use this one much so its iffy to change the jiffy LOL.
  Anyway Jiffy's are great tools and every shop should have one. Your find was awesome. I love finding things like that but never do.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Mine has a metal head and does the same drippy thing. I always thought it was just something to deal with. I find if I shake it before I use it helps to get all that extra water out of it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

Kody the table  had some broken lattice work - 20th century - mahogany - the pieces all fit back so well there will be very little touch up to do.

Paul this area where I am is less than 20 miles from Manhattan.  It has many Wall St guys who don't think twice about tossing stuff out. They like this area because the commute is short into the City.  There are dozens of towns with different sanitation schedules.  If Clean trash - (furniture etc.) is on Wednesday morning - drive around on Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning and you will find amazing things at the curb.  When we moved here 38 years ago we only had our B/R.  We would go Junkin (my Wife calls it) on Tuesday - bring the pieces into the shop and refinish them.  My L/R + D/R and several other pieces came from curb side finds.
SA 

65Buick

Score! stuff i find on the curb is never anything I want. And, I still don't have a steamer. But now I know what brand/type i need.
Steve, I'm confused. I thought you were in Texas?

SteveA

Buick - there are some Republican Conservatives up here in the Big Apple !  - I wouldn't mind retiring in the South when I'm finished battering my head against the concrete up here.
I've never lived more than 15 miles away from where I was born. Haven't even traveled except for one trip to Florida when I helped move my in laws down there. We stayed a week - my Wife visited regularly alternating trips with each of the children  - I never went back.  When SS kicks in I'd like to go to Europe - Rome -
SA

sofadoc

Quote from: 65Buick on October 04, 2018, 09:14:45 pm
Steve, I'm confused. I thought you were in Texas?

That would be me.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

My bad Sofa. And it's not like there are even that many users on this forum.