Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:32:30 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

No Charge ?

Started by SteveA, September 18, 2018, 11:20:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

An ottoman came in with a broken leg.  Customer said could you also sew the rip between the base and top cushion.  I said sure - no worries.  I didn't add on to the estimate - I should have.
What a mistake.  To repair the leg I had to remove the cambric, tack strip, and fabric from one corner - 8 inches in each direction.  After the leg was repaired I closed up and I tried to stitch the fabric up top.  Too hard to get in there so I thought about how much time it would take to remove the base fabric completely now that I've already buttoned up around the leg. So  I start sewing it in place with 69 and as I pull the cushion up to make room for my hand I tear the thread stitches I already have in.  I switched to button thread - two hours later and the last few stitches using a hemostat - it was done. Never again - The stitches look a little like Frankenstein's head but they are strong

kodydog

Your intentions were good.
Your outcome is acceptable.
As usual with good intentions your profit is negligible.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

No good deed goes unpunished.

gene

My SCORE advisor:

You can be a nice person.
Or you can be a businessman.
Now, you can be a businessman who is also nice, but you make money by being a businessman.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I'm not opposed to hot gluing a repair like that. Maybe one anchor stitch right in the corner.
It may not seem like a quality repair, but then again, you're not getting paid a quality rate either. If they want it done right, they can pay up. And I'll be happy to remove the whole cover and re-sew it on a machine.

I would've figured out a way to do a quick repair. No way I'm spending 2 hours for free on that corner.

Sometimes, you just do what you gotta do.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

I didn't think of a hot glue repair and you're right the labor was not rewarded and not worth it.  My own fault is that when I start something I'm obsessed to finish it.  I loose sight of what I'm doing until it's done but when it's done that's when I complain - passive aggressive doesn't allow for an income or maintaining the responsibility of being a good businessman .   But thanks for the hot glue idea for the next time. Flawed -  I couldn't stop sewing long enough to ask for an easier solution :)

SA