Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:50:24 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Fabric backing

Started by gene, September 17, 2018, 07:32:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

A customer has an embroidered fabric about 2' by 2" that was his mom's, and he wants me to cover a foot stool with it. It needs cleaning and the dry cleaning company told him if he gets a backing put on the embroidered fabric they will try to clean it.

Does anyone have experience with this? I can buy fusible iron on backing and I think that would work OK, but I'm not sure. I'm just hoping someone has some experience with this.

Thanks,

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

September 18, 2018, 11:24:45 am #1 Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 01:06:51 pm by SteveA
I don't know what the best way is to back the fabric but when a guy say's he'll try to clean it I worry.  My buddy Jose had a neddle point the customer wanted to put on her foot stool.  He send it out to be cleaned and blocked so the pattern would be straight.  When it came back colors had run together and the cleaning people said there was nothing they could do.
It didn't end well.
SA

MinUph

I have never backed anything, always have it done, but I've done a lot of blocking of needlepoint. Some dies will run and most will not. If in doubt you need to try a corner first with COLD water. I use it out of the fridge. Always have a bottle in there for blood removal also. And you can spray the water on the back of the needle point which helps with running. If the dye runs on your test area I would stop and not wet it though.
  Some needle points are really worth a lot of bucks so take that into consideration also. Even sentimental value.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

This makes me cringe. Older, probably not very strong needlepoints to be upholstered onto seating furniture. Yikes.

FYI: in the case of old paintings that need preserved, people use - spit. That to me says that any kind of chemical cleaner is a no-no.