Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:40:09 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Respect for a good Sewing Machine - Example cow hide sewing

Started by baileyuph, September 10, 2018, 05:42:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

I ordered in several hides (rather  heavy) to redo some La-Z-Boy chairs -  been in the family for
two or three generations.

Finished the work today with satisfaction experienced with the sewing machine can you believe it?  It performed very well and considerable credit was given to the machine.  Heavy cow hides are bulky and we know what that means when it comes to seaming. 

The machine is a Consew 225 ( there are others available), not new of course but it did offer satisfaction/and perfection in sewing - which I needed working with the heavy leather.

Other machines were available - Intuition and experience steered me to the machine.

Thinking of MoJo  and his ground clearing experience with equipment - I suppose.

There is job satisfaction in upholstery.

Doyle

gene

It is interesting the connection we have with our machines.

One of my sewing machines is a Zoje, a Juki knockoff. It is made to sew leather and vinyl. I've gotten good enough with it that I can sew thin fabrics that have some stretch to them, as long as it's not too much stretch.

I swear that when I use that machine for leather or vinyl, I can tell that the machine is a lot happier than when I'm struggling with it to sew "Joann Fabrics ON SALE!" crap.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

I still have my original Chandler 406 machine. It is retired from production work but is all set up at home in my wifes studio and used for special projects. I love that machine and could never part with it. Kinda crazy to have a bond with a sewing machine but when I look at it I have to smile knowing that machine built our company. I only had one issue with it ( that I created myself ). I fixed it and it never gave us another problem.

I bought an old Juki LN from a boat manufacturing company. It seen heavy work in its lifetime so I sent it to Bob Kovar who went through it and replaced a lot of parts. My wife loved that machine but we got to the point where we were not using it. I offered it to Ricat and gave him a great deal on it and he loves the machine and is still using it. It was one of the last Juki's made in Japan.

I mentioned that I bought that Juki here on the forum and Kodydog, who lived by the boat factory went and bought an identical one. Not sure if he is still using it or not. Do you still have that machine Ed ?

Mojo

kodydog

I wish I did. It's nice having one sewing machine in the cutting room and one in the upholstery room. That machine was a work horse. the thicker the fabric the better it ran.

When I was working for that shop in Gainesville a fellow walked in looking for a sewing machine. The boss didn't have one. At the time I wasn't planning on working for myself again so I sold it to him. And have been kicking myself ever since. Rose and I bought that machine for around $350 or $400. I remember when we sold it we made a whopping $50 profit. I doubt I'll ever find such a nice a machine at that price again.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html