Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:20:52 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Let's build a table

Started by Darren Henry, September 02, 2018, 07:36:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

i didn't want to thread jack Gene so starting a new thread. those tables in the video he shared are killer, but 'doc points out that they are pricey and I was concerned about the amount of "wobble" you see in the video.

I;d like to brain storm here and see if we can't come up with a proto type that could be built in the average shop at a reasonable price.

Conventional thought would be to make like a mini scissor lift or maxi motorcycle lift. Instead of air how could we use an electric motor and worm gear like a power recliner, or and ATV winch? I think that hydraulic would get real pricey real quick with reservoirs, pumps, yadda yadda.

I am going to work on a different approach. I am thinking of four telescoping corner post, and a cable system like a pop up camper.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

I'm not much in the pneumatic area but would a foot pump work to pump it up and a release valve to lower it both foot operated like a salon/barber chair? I don't see why not as my wifes can lift a couple hundred pound people with no issues. A stronger pump should do even more. A scissor arangement would work but we are getting pretty pricey with metal and such. The use I see the table mostely is for what was pictured in the video. Raising it for the front seat and mostly lowered for the rest. The major problem I see with this whole thing is it won't  be very portable. I need to use the work area(s) for mre than one layout. Large cornice work takes up my space and a lot of the shop. This would be in the way. Maybe not if the top could be multipurpose.
  Lets keep this going.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Whenever I'm in a store like Harbor Freight, I always take a gander at the motorcycle lifts and try to envision how I would convert one for furniture.

I've had a few ideas, but never perfected any of them in my feeble mind. Also like Paul, I'm not sure how I want to dedicate a space for such a contraption.

Many people use a hydraulic base robbed off a salon chair for small furniture. But for sofas, we probably would need something that distributes the weight better. Such as a scissor type, or 4-corner lift like Darren is theorizing.

I remember one guy used 2 salon bases with a bar welded between them so he could pump both of them simultaneously. But I suspect they didn't always pump evenly.

For now, I just use a very low table and sit in a hydraulic chair so I can so I can raise and lower myself  instead of the furniture.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

September 03, 2018, 06:48:05 am #3 Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 06:49:19 am by SteveA
I've been trying to adapt the best method in my work space for more years than I can count.  The main work bench can't be moved so I raise and lower it with 6 x 6's  and the combination of a piano like stool that I can raise and lower myself.  The bench is 7 feet x 42 inch and over 800 lbs - one day I can be covering a chair seat at 40 inches high and the next day heavy hammering of plywood together at 30 inches.  I could never do any serious building on a scissor like table because it would be unsteady. Also have saw horses and a 25 inch rolling table that's 50 inches x 40 inches.  The combo of all the props gets me through

brmax

September 03, 2018, 11:42:12 am #4 Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:50:40 am by brmax
Many moons ago remember one of you posting a link for staplers and in it showed a factory with them air lift tables doing small and larger furniture. They were a bit hefty but still same style pneumatic over scissor lift.

In that thought there looks to be several good options on tables, I have kept my little roll around the same as purchased. Hell bent at first making a top and other structure, though found that more a cutting table the priority, so pursued a path for that happily.

In my opinion one of the larger base models would be more secure in the available bike lifts we see. Also with the abundance of mfg these for bikes, snow machines and jet skis its possible to adapt if this path interest anyone to put on a plywood top.

I have thought previously of squared plywood table corners being used within them another being adjustable with wood pin possibly. Though this still requires a lift of some sort and capacity or height per lift.

Recently considered again the tables that would all 3 or even just 2 roll together or out singly with different heights and being seperate.

I would sure like to hear more of your ideas on work tables, its always been great. Big Thanks

Good day

Floyd

65Buick

I wondered if there was a way to adapt one of these new stand up motorized computer desks. I don't know that they'd hold that much weight as they come, but maybe the idea could be adapted? pretty sure it's just a small motor to raise/lower instead of this other table using pneumatic.

gene

Just came across this while researching something else. Someone mentioned Poland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxGr27YkoCo

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!