Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:03:37 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Mojo and the rest on Marketing

Started by baileyuph, August 08, 2018, 07:07:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Mojo,

Your interest - knowledge - and experience in Marketing is all at the highest level.  You participation
is such an asset to small business like myself.

Your important experience, is very beneficial to us all.  Your post are an important thing.

Thanks again,

Doyle

Mojo

Thank you for the kind words. My background has never been upholstery but rather marketing and communications.
I am glad I can at least lend some help in marketing and business related topics to some of you.

I have learned a great deal from all of you in regards to upholstery skills and for that I am thankful.
This is a great forum loaded with some of our Nations best upholsterers. Together we are Making America Great Again. :)

Mojo

baileyuph

Yes, the talent on this site is very very good.  It is impressive to see what other upholsters can do
with furniture, etc.

Equally important is your approach.  Let me expand on this though(s):

You have the whole picture - one that first focuses on the product (very important!)

Next, you focus on the overview of how to physically do "that" product (not the world of products).
Then, next is to gain a finite understanding of how to build the specific product and the marketing that
will be involved in building a specific product and understanding of profits.

This understanding includes tools and equipment needed to generate the product as well,
and the skills needed.

All done along with the analysis and conclusion of the final phase - Marketing!

This final effort is bolstered by association
with others who serve as models in your industry and products you plan to engage in.

Very impressive Mojo - the demonstration you leave behind along with other site participants is a great education for me and I thank you all.

In the everyday world, the question that often comes up is:  "how long did it take you to learn this"?
My response is easy to say:  "I will let you know".  The process continues.

Thanks to all.

Doyle

kodydog

As far as marketing I don't think you ever stop learning. Simply because marketing styles are forever changing.

When we started our first business the Yellow Pages was a must. Most of our business came from this source. The bigger the ad the more calls we got. And occasionally during slow periods we would advertise in local newspapers. The timing for news paper ads were crucial. We had to keep a keen watch on our work load so the ad would appear right when our orders were dwindling.

Move forward 30 years and I can't remember the last time we got a job from a Yellow Pages ad. We haven't taken a newspaper ad in 15 years.

I imagine TV and radio ads have stayed the same over the years. We have never advertised on either of these medias but over the years I have seen a handful of upholstery shops who have.

For us, internet marketing has completely changed the way we advertise. I've always been about 10 years behind when it comes to technology. I still use a flip phone. One day I woke up and realized our digital marketing was virtually nonexistent. I had a lot to learn including how to build a web site. It took about 6 months to get caught up and another 6 months for it all to take effect.

Our website is forever evolving and I'm always wondering what the next great marketing tool is right around the corner.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

Just a little humor for Chris - Please don't write me nasty letters :)

Today's Bible Lessons

In today's world with President Trump getting hit daily, I decided a little Bible Lesson might be appropriate.

Remember what Jesus said: 'Goats on the left, sheep on the right' (Matthew 25:33).
Jesus also told Peter that if he wanted to catch fish do it from the right side of the boat.  He did and filled the boat with fish.
John 21:6 (NIV) ... He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some." When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish."
Origin of Left & Right.. I have often wondered why it is that Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
By chance I stumbled upon this verse in the Bible: Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) - "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Thus sayeth the Lord. Amen
It surely can't get any simpler than that.
Spelling Lesson: The last four letters in American........ I Can
The last four letters in Republican........ I Can
The last four letters in Democrats........ Rats
End of lesson! ..Test to follow on November 6, 2018.
Remember, November 2018 is to be set aside as rodent removal month.
Please share this Bible Lesson with all your friends and email buddies to help achieve that goal.
Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be .

Mojo

Steve. Great bible quotes. :)

Marketing is a dynamic part of any business. It is constantly changing with the times and now with technology it is really evolving and changing. I first started learning business and marketing at the young age of 14 from my Godfather who I worked for. As an
adult I had a passion for it which is why I made a career out of it.

When I was consulting my speciality was consumer psychology or other words getting inside the minds of consumers.
I found it not only fascinating but a challenge. I also did a lot of branding campaigns with companies that were small and large.
Looking back, product shelf life was 2 to 3 years, now it is less then 6 months. Simply explained, consumers moods and desires are changing faster then ever before. So is the attention span of consumers which requires constant challenges in changing your message to your target market.

With that said I am way behind on our marketing. We should be over a million in sales and we are far from that goal. My problem
has been time and money. We spend well over $ 20 K a year in advertising, marketing, etc. most of that wrapped up in attending rally's and events. I just got back from a month long trip out West attending 2 big events/shows. The cost was a killer. But in order to maintain and grow our revenue it is a must. Now that I have an Admin Assistant I can start spending more time doing research and building new marketing programs. It will take a lot of time and a lot of money but it has to be done in order to grow.

There is one other problem I have, my stamina. As I get older I find it harder to run fast and keep pace with our businesses. I am still waiting for someone with a fat checkbook to step in the door and buy us out. :)

Mojo