Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 09:16:42 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How is a patio chair heavy strap installed (webbing)where both ends look same???

Started by baileyuph, May 26, 2018, 01:38:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

How is the heavy synthetic webbing actually installed on the heavy out door furniture.  I will explain the
chair:

Very heavy steel or?  made from approximately 1 inch tubing. 

The webbing is installed, in this case, in a small slot opening in the seat frame tubing.  The slot is merely
less than a half inch wide by less than 1/4 inch tall.  It is made this way to accommodate the  2"
webbing which is cut to an arrow head shape.  To install the arrow head is pushed into the slot far
enough until the fins on each side of the head catches inside the pipe.

Further, once the arrow head shape is inside the pipe and caught in that position, the webbing (about
2" like I said) is wrapped around the pipe where the spear head was inserted.

Then, the webbing is pulled to the opposite side and the same installation of the webbing is done there.

The mystery to me what tools/technique are used to get the last end of the webbing installed?

Some of you have seen this and may have the "know how" of installing the end of the webbing.

If so, can you describe how to duplicate what the factory does?

The last end connected looks exactly like the starter end where the arrow shaped webbing end has
to go in first and will receive a couple of wraps around the tubing seat frame.

No picture, but sure anyone in the upholstery business has had this problem brought to them?

This webbing is always very stiff when the chairs are brought to me and might have been softer/flexible
when new is probably a given.  But how is both ends of the webbing done the same way (I don't see it
as something obvious).

The chair frames can't be disassembled to allow the the pipe to be rolled around to get the last end of
the webbing into the pipe first and then spin the round rung to tighten the strap first then install the
rung into the chair frame.

Any contributions on this type of work?

Doyle

Darren Henry

I will be following this thread closely. i have a set of these and have had the same quarry for a while.

Originally I planed to just screw the replacement webbing to the inside of the frame once I have to fix them [I don' throw anything out LOL ] , but how would I get it tight enough ? My new plan is to make straps that would wrap almost all the way around the frame and back and put eyelets in the ends. I can then lace the two ends together, underneath the chair, with some para cord. 
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

SteveA

Thanks that's a great source for difficult to find parts  - had no idea you could even buy powder coat paint in aerosol cans - nice.
Thanks again
SA

kodydog

When we picked up these chairs they were striped to the frame. There was no visible way to attach any kind of support system. We had to get creative. If the frame looks somewhat like this I have a step by step pictorial on how we recovered them. Twice in 10 years for a decorator's husband.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

Gained some understanding of the problem -- The heavy vinyl webbing is installed with one wrap or a
double wrap.  But, the mystery of how the arrow head cut is inserted into the slot (this is after one end
is installed and wrapped)during connection of the last end is:  wrap the webbing by the wrap technique
being used (single or double) but the key is -- wrap the end to the side of the slot in the frame.  This
is what enables the arrow head to enter the metal slot after wrapping. 

Once, the arrow head of the belt is slipped into the metal slot, the belt is pulled over the top of
the arrow head.

Any tools that would assist might be something like needle nose pliers could help.  Not meant to be funny
-- but the process of wrapping the last end of the webbing is treated like a "curly fry" in that first is spread
apart then brought back to a tighter wrap. 

All that said, the technique of wrapping the belt (or installing the belt) works better on a new belt
best because old belts get very stiff!

This I learned from my research.

Bottom line, not the best way to make a living.

Doyle