Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:27:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Serger

Started by SteveA, April 22, 2018, 03:56:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

Lucky estate sale purchase Saturday.  Don't know what I'll do with it - I can't make drapes or slip covers.  I'm dreading the learning curve but could not refuse the price with 10 rolls of thread. It was marked $ 50.00 and they sold it to me for $ 20.00 because there was no plug with it and I couldn't test it.  I took a chance.  My Wife went back to the sale the next day and found the plug with the foot petal - they didn't charge her.  Only one time I made arm covers and just made a 1/4 inch hem on the edge and it worked fine so not sure how I can incorporate this into the arsenal.
Do many of you use this kind of machine and if so please tell me some goods points why I have this -
SA

baileyuph

Have one?   Yes

Use it?   absolutely!  There are so many thin fabrics today and they FRAY!

Comment: You have a 4-spool

Mine is a 3-spool Baby Loc and very well made. 

Baby Loc now makes a 8 - spool with a long throat; Cost over $1600 because that is what the standard throat sold for.  The 8 spool is used for very decorative requirements (example - fancy quilting).

You have what the typical upholster would ever need.

Doyle

baileyuph

by the way, that Singer is strong as iron.  Years ago, it was the machine a lot of furniture used (the walking foot actually came out to meet auto and marine canvas workers).

There are many feet available for this machine.  Japan made a console copy of the Singer and
I have it.  There are fabrics that are too thin to run through a compound walking foot machine.

Lucky You!

Doyle

65Buick

Serging is fun. Threading is really not that big of a deal.
Why do you have it? Only time will tell.

Virgs Sew n Sew

What brand of serger is it?  I bought a Juki that I can actually do a 5 thread overlock with.  Only stitch I can do involves 3 stitches and it worked well the couple of times I did it.  I was supposed to work at our local "Buckle" for 6-8 weeks while their alteration spet was out for knee surgery.  One day a week.  Mostly hems but some actual alterations.  At the Buckle you don't cut off the existing hem, you cut material off about 1/4 inch above the existing hem.  serge the two pieces together, press and then narrowly top stitch.  If done correctly, you can hardly see the top stitching.  That's where I fell in love with serging as the knife clips off any unevenly cut fabric while serging.  Fabulous! 

One of my retirement goals is to become better friends with my Juki.  I have a book with small projects you can make which is supposed to make you serger friendly.

Fuck this place.

sofadoc

I have 300 choir seats to do. I serged the bottom so I don't have to staple any kind of bottom cloth on the bottom of the seats.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

Sofa: nice idea. 300? That'll keep you busy for awhile.

gene

I have two sergers.

One serger I use to serge the edge of thin, loose weave, or stretchy fabrics. I don't do this very often but it's great to have when you need it.

I will occasionally serge the edge of arm guards so I don't need to sew in a hem, if the serger thread looks great. I had a fully upholstered chair with cream colored fabric and a secondary green fabric used for the welt cord. Serging the arm guards with green thread really looked kool.

If I want to sew gathered fabric, I use the differential on my serger to serge the fabric. This is an awesome time saver. Instead of sewing on elastic banding, I can sometimes use the differential to gather the fabric.

One my second serger, I don't have any thread in it. I run all my welt cord through the serger to cut a perfect 1/2" lip. I know this is an extra step but this is how I was taught and I do it out of habit. I never have to worry about not having straight lines on my cushions.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Oh Boy!
  Now I'm going to have to look for a serger. I haven't used one in 30+ years but remember going next door and using the girls there for big pieces of fabric. All these other ideas sound cool also.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

Mine is a Toyota Differential SL-1T.  The last owner was using it with one needle and three spools just doing a rolled edge.  I want to get it going with all the stops.  Difficult to get parts - I was finally able to track down the Asian Co. and order a new thread stand that was cracked - from Aisin Seiki Co, here in the States.  No where else on line was I able to find parts. 
What is the differential adjustment - Gene you mentioned it briefly could you expand ?   Doc your machine looks like the one I'd rather have - battleship ready - not too much plastic -
SA

sofadoc

Quote from: SteveA on April 29, 2018, 07:23:57 am
Mine is a Toyota Differential SL-1T.  The last owner was using it with one needle and three spools just doing a rolled edge.  I want to get it going with all the stops.  Difficult to get parts - I was finally able to track down the Asian Co. and order a new thread stand that was cracked - from Aisin Seiki Co, here in the States.  No where else on line was I able to find parts. 
What is the differential adjustment - Gene you mentioned it briefly could you expand ?   Doc your machine looks like the one I'd rather have - battleship ready - not too much plastic -
SA
I don't use the second needle in mine either. I did at first, but the "safety stitch" created by the second needle seemed to serve no purpose for me.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Virgs Sew n Sew

I really like the cutter (knife) doing its thing.  I'm excited to finally (in a few months) have the time to learn how to use my serger.  I also have a long arm that I've never gotten anywhere with.  The gentleman who services my industrial machine said he would work with me on the long arm.

I use my domestic (Bernina) for sewing, embroidery and quilting.  I purchased two different types of rulers/templates so I can do most of what you see on quilts entered into shows.  I'm currently quilting a t-shirt quilt that I've made for my oldest brother.  It measures 106 x 106 and it's doable on the Bernina but cumbersome.  Would be much easier on the long arm if we were friendlier for each other.

Retirement fun ... I can hardly wait.  82 days and counting.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Mojo

We bought a new Juki serger last year from Toledo Bob. I used it once and then let Ingrid deal with it. All I know is it is a heavy duty 5 thread model that will sew several layers of acrylic and will sew with V92 thread. It sure as hell wasn't cheap.

Ingrid has been using sergers since she was a teenager doing alterations and dress making. What I know about serges you could fit into a thimble. It is essentially her machine. I stay clear of it. She knows sergers inside and out. I know enough to stay away from it.

Paul, if you want to stop by the shop and take it for a test run, help yourself.

Mojo

Virgs Sew n Sew

My main issue with sergers and clothing is that any more seams are serged rather than sewn with a conventional sewing machine.  Serged seams, when they tear, generally lose the entire seam whereas a conventionally sewn seam will just pop 3 or 4 stitches.  I can see using them for hemming drapes and so forth but any seam that is going to be torqued, like center seams in clothing, need to be sewn more securely.
Fuck this place.

MinUph

So if anyone see a serger for cheap let me know please? I know nothing about them and don't know how much it would be used so I don't want to spend alot on one. Someone has one sitting and collecting dust in a give away kinda mood. :)
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website