Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:24:53 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Joe Camel

Started by SteveA, April 11, 2018, 01:04:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

New job came in today - Middle eastern 19th century - incredible carving - just some pieces of the base were broken and chipped.
I know you thought I should have titled this entry Hump Day

65Buick

What in the..?
You just never know folks. You never know.

SteveA

Took off the head and table - Clever how they are attached.  Had to remove the bottom moldings in order to get 90 % clamp pressure - just used yellow glue - I may add a couple of pocket screws after the glue is dry.  There are some bits of carving missing and need to touch up the repaired joint

gene

The head is held on by a metal bar stuck in the neck. I know some folks who seem to have their buttocks held on by a metal bar stuck up their a$$. And of course I've never been accused of such a thing. :-)

That looks like a fun project. Any idea what kind of wood?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

The table top is oak the body walnut or teak - probably made under British rule
SA

gene

April 14, 2018, 07:12:02 am #5 Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 07:13:10 am by gene
I find it fascinating to imagine some British officer living in the Middle East as part of the British colonization. His house was probably filled with such items.

On the other side of antiquity, I had a footstool once that the owner said sat in the bedroom of one of the Russian Czar's from the 1800's. This was the "family story" that the person who sold her the stool told her. My guess was that the stool was made in the 1980's, not the 1880's. The owner did not ask so I did not tell.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

When you think about the time spent by the earlier crafts-folk on any one project you shake your head in disbelief.  And when they needed lumber or fabric they couldn't call up Greenhouse or drop over to Lowes.  Working on old pieces usually reveals how they did things.  When items are re-created it's the greatest form of flattery - even though it's not period - doesn't mean it's not quality.  The learning is what I look forward too on these projects.
SA

SteveA

The base is finally done.  After glue up I used Timber-mate to fill in some small voids.  Qualasole with earth pigments - browns and a tiny bit of mahogany followed by 3-4 spray can coats of clear flat lacquer.  Didn't need rubbing or waxing - looked just right.  Hope that's enough zoo animals for rest of the spring.