Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:59:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sewing Patio cushion tuft seams

Started by baileyuph, March 24, 2018, 06:03:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

The description of cushion this relates to is covered with the heavy nylon mesh and filled with
a poly mesh that could have been 2 to 3 inches thick (sort of similar to thick Dacron. 

The nylon mesh is made of two layers (identical size) sewn around the perimeter but leaving the rear
edge open to allow stuffing the filler in (the poly mesh or could be envisioned as very heavy Dacron 2-3 inches thick). 

Once the Dacron is inserted, next all that mass is stuck under a needle to sew a "tufted" design into
the completed cover, ready to be thrown on the metal patio chair frame for use.

Sounds simple?  Well, maybe but my concerns are related to sewing the "tufted" design, more specifically -- will the typical walking foot machine sew through the two layers of mesh and the filler at
such a thickness a seat cushion would need?

A customer has old cushions made like this and would like them duplicated.

Thinking through the analyticals of all involved, there could be some challenges in getting all this
through the needle without wrinkles and planned symmetry.  As I envision the operation, much depends on the thickness of filler.

Procedures like compressing the filler as it flows through the needle are logical but only up to a
point.

I though about taking the customer's old cushion and testing how it would flow through the needle.

Along with this sewing issue, what is the trade name for such filler and available  thickness?

Other experiences would be very relevant!

Thanks in advance.

Doyle   

sofadoc

On all those mesh type patio cushions, I always tell my customers that my results may.......or......may NOT duplicate the factory original technique.

It's my discretion, my call. The final decision is mine. If they insist that I duplicate the original factory techniques against my wishes, I instruct them to be careful and not let the door hit them on the way out.

Sometimes it's easy to get all that thickness under the head of the machine, sometimes it isn't.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

LOL,

This job isn't about what customer demands.  The customer is reasonable.

What I need to know more about is the filler, how thick does it need to be to provide a decent patio
cushion? 

What is the title of this this type of filler?  I referenced it to a heavy Dacron, but there is probably
a trade name for the type of filler/

One thing I plan to do is back track and get the customer to bring back his old cushion --- I will just
run a sewing test on it, then call the suppliers for the filler answers.

I was hopefull that someone had been involved in similar work.  How about you Kody?  Your probably
in a pretty good patio market.

Anyone else, been there and done that?

Doyle

MinUph

We have used the dacron you mention in 4" think or so size. Never tried to sew through 4" of anything on our machines. 2" is tops for that and that is a challenge. This Polyester is treated so water runs through it faster and doesn't soak in kinda like flow through foam. I can't help with the name of the product.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

The cushion;  The customer came when I was very busy and I plan to call him to return with the cushion
for more finite analysis.  From recall the cushion might have something less than 2" of filler thickness
at this time.  To add in the aftermath analysis; the factory compressed seam thickness was no more than
1/2 inch - maybe that was why the ability to sew the tuft seam in my shop didn't get my attention. 

My long arm machine has come to being a good tool in the past.

The filler, like I said didn't seem to be a problem at the time.

Wouldn't it be convenient if I could reuse the existing filler!  That would facilitate performing the
task with nice symmetry! 

The customer interest was to keep his existing patio chairs - the pictures were not discouraging.

Gives me a bit to think through - plus it is a paying job!

Doyle

kodydog

Quote from: baileyuph on March 24, 2018, 06:44:41 pm
LOL,

I was hopefull that someone had been involved in similar work.  How about you Kody?  Your probably
in a pretty good patio market.

Doyle

I will try almost anything once. This philosophy gets me into a lot of trouble. For my answer read what Paul wrote ^.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

The filler is called 'Nu-Foam' . Not foam at all but just compressed dacron into the shape of a cushion.