Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 08:20:47 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Welt foot sizing

Started by MinUph, March 23, 2018, 12:17:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

Does anyone have a chart with welt cord sizing and foot size to go with it. Like 5/32 cord takes 1/4" foot.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

brmax

Here is a link Paul and rather than cut n paste their chart. I thought it probably has some benefit in the whole article. I know you have seen plenty in this regard so this in short order. If I run onto something real extensive this weekend it will be posted.
https://www.sailrite.com/Selecting-the-Right-Cording-Foot

Good day
Floyd

sofadoc

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

I can agree this chart Dennis recomended does have more or bigger cording selections. They also mention their material or fabric application. That application or how its put together is brought up here a bit or use to be.

Enjoy😎

USE:             

This Welt Foot Set is commonly used to first make the welting by wrapping a 3/4" to 1" wide strip of fabric or vinyl or leather around 7/32" Diameter WELT.
Then this welting is inserted between two pieces of furniture or auto upholstery fabric to make the actual welted seam. 
This is the most common method of sewing welted seams in furniture or auto upholstery.
This welt foot set will also sew regular seaming operations so you do not have to put your regular feet back onto the machine.
Many upholstery shops just leave this set on their machines all the time!
The most common sizes of welting foot sets for auto upholstery & furniture welting are  3/16"  1/4"  and  5/16".
To determine your correct LISTED SIZE, add 3/32" for your four plies of fabric to the WELT SIZE. So if you are using 5/32" welting add 3/32" for a total of 8/32" or 1/4".

LISTED (GROOVE) SIZE         USES WELTING SIZE

1/8"                                                    1/32"
3/16"                                                  3/32"
1/4"                                                    5/32"
5/16"                                                  7/32"
3/8"                                                    9/32"
1/2"                                                    13/32"

MinUph

Thanks everyone. That works.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

Don't forget the thickness of the fabric can affect the size of the foot that you would want to use also. So I don't see a chart being the end of the discussion.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Not the end Gene but a good starting point.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

When the foot question arises, if my recent experience with the parameters of that job, I run a small
test to verify the welt foot size.

Doyle

SteveA

I don't do it but my Buddy uses 2 sizes of welting when he does double welt
SA

sofadoc

Quote from: SteveA on March 25, 2018, 07:24:44 am
SA
I've known some that do that. Because they use a method where the first row will have an extra layer of fabric wrapped around it, so they go up a size on the second cord.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Quote from: SteveA on March 25, 2018, 07:24:44 am
SA

Yes I am one that does this. 4/32 and 5/32
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

What I have to work with is three sizes of double cord welt feet.  Another parameter that I usually test
is how will it be attached:  (a)  stapled  or (b) glued?

That is part of my checking because the requirement may be important.

Doyle