Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:14:25 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

leather discolored

Started by evanbever, March 12, 2018, 10:20:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

evanbever

what's the best way to deal with a leather sofa that has discoloration in areas? I've looked online for stain kits but I've been told that before you start you need to know what type of leather it is and if it has some sort of a finish before you select the type of product to use

SteveA

Leather can be repaired w/pigments and an air brush.  Look on You Tube for leather repair process - it will give you an idea of the repair craft and materials used
SA

kodydog

What is causing the leather to be discolored?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

evanbever

Not sure, could be body oils,

brmax

I was curious if it was the lines or normal wrinkles in the leather. Sometimes them natural wrinkles areas can be impossible.
But it sounds like a general seating area, and can be attributed just to rub or getting on and or off the furniture. ( i guess their polishing it ) hehehe, Oh my

Coffee time
Floyd

evanbever

I think it is just a seating area problem because that is where the discoloration is, I tried to upload photos but could not. I did find some info on youtube, leathersolutionsintl.com, they were recommended to me by a company that supplies me with fabrics, they seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the subject

kodydog

The was I see it is, if the stain is on top of the protective coating it can be removed. But if the stain has made its way below the protective coating and soaked into the leather, like body oil, it will be hard to get it out. Some leathers have no protective coating.

Before I use anything on leather I always take a white cloth and moisten it. I rub it on the leather and if the least little amount of dye comes off I leave it alone. I have worked with leather where the dye was not set and by rubbing a dry white cloth over it made the dye came off.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html