Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:45:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bench

Started by SteveA, February 16, 2018, 03:07:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

I got this new job coming up and I presented the designer with what I think is a reasonable alternative to repair  - see what you folks think.  Plywood case nailed and screwed together - synthetic straps across the top - stapled down into the top edge only.  Fabric cover - with gold nail heads at the base in an abstract design. The top straps are loose and the seat is sinking in.   They asked if I could remove everything - fix the straps - put the fabric back and all the nails -
I opened the bottom - notice my expensive tool cart on the floor - the inside is hollow - suggested that I fit in a new shelf ( inside dimensions) covered with 2 inch foam and push it up into the underside of the seat - held by ledger strips - screwed and glued.  The alternative is recreating that nailing pattern and that would be crazy. 

kodydog

Trying to take those brass nails off and replacing them would be a nightmare.

I assume when you took the dust cover off the webbing was stretched and when you pushed up on it the seating was brought back into place. Point is, was it was the webbing and not the foam? Your idea sounds like a good one.

I have stuffed the cavity with foam several times on different pieces of furniture and I am getting ready to do a similar thing to a sectional with elastic webbing and semi-attached cushions. Make sure to tell the customer there are no guarantee's when trying to fix an inferior manufacturer design.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

Brilliant idea Steve. Are there no spreaders inside running side to side to keep the webbing from turning the rectangle into an hour glass? I would include at least one on the insert.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

SteveA

I did tell the account that there are no guarantees but I'm confident this is the best solution - filling the cavity.  If I did have to take the fabric off and repeat the nail head pattern maybe it wouldn't be too bad if I was able to find the original nail holes as I went along. 
Thanks for the replies
SA

Darren Henry

if you do remove the fabric I'd take a paper pattrern before I pulled the nails.

If I were to try to follow the old holes I would only pull the fabric down to the top nails so that I could "peek" for the old holes and then work my way down and staple the bottom last.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

SteveA

Thanks Darren - that makes perfect sense.  Also If it comes to taking the fabric off I will also ask the account to ask the factory if they have a pattern to recreate the design - I hope it wasn't some random design off the cuff
-SA

baileyuph

Recently reupholstered a bench that sounds like very closely resembles your frame and possibly
foam padding.

At the start, it had the same webbing issues (synthetic), loose and disgusting.

I didn't want to repeat the same weakness, therefore went to almost 100% webbing coverage. I didn't
web from top edge to edge; simply did not trust it to last.  Once webbed I stretched some very
strong material over the webbing to provide assistance.

Regarding the foam, a much stronger firm foam (and thicker) was applied to provide a build up.

Then, of course upholstered it - detail formal just like original but not the same color. 

Finished, the piece was much stronger and actually looked that way.

Regarding your issues of recapturing/reusing the same material/decorative tacks, that might not
be a good idea, not for me anyway, because I altered the amount of padding and firmness. 

Better to build something that will last and getting the original back as before - that might be a lower
option, but I am not seeing those materials.

Good luck and show your final results,
thanks.

Doyle

SteveA

Doyle when you see these weaknesses on furniture purchased from Wayfair it's not surprising.  When the furniture is custom made and upholstered by a high end shop and they couldn't attach the straps in a way that would last more than one year it's sad.  I guess our trade will never have to worry about keeping busy,
SA

baileyuph

Yep,
My bench customer admitted the bench was the first thing their dog jumped on, then the bed.  He
wanted to me to do something about the durability concern.  He was willing to spend the money on
the bench, he also added that he just paid a Vet almost 3K$$ for putting a plate in the dog's leg.

Maybe becoming a Vet is wise?

The bench I worked on (imported) was plywood frame, the only hardwood was the legs.  I had to remove/
replace those (cabriolet) and the best quality feature on the bench.

It turned out very nice, customer wants more work done (uph).

Yep, the wood working/refinishing would be an additive dimension to the interest of most.

Doyle

Darren Henry

"Yep, the wood working/refinishing would be an additive dimension to the interest of most"

I'm a good carpenter, a decent cabinet maker, and not half shabby at basic touch up/staining---but I follow Steve ( and some others) input on refinishing like a total newbie. They are masters, but as i said on the other thread, it is part of the job and I personally would miss out on a lot of great info if it were on a separate page with my reading habits. I may have gone to "the business of upholstery" half a dozen times since I closed my shop. Seeing the cool projects people get to do on "the green room" just makes me want to die while I'm doing the mindless stuff I get for "work". I only read this page now.