Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:04:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Death of a forum

Started by MinUph, February 15, 2018, 05:47:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

Well it's been pretty dead here. I am about ready to change my evening route and drop this stop. Been fun but no sense in visiting an empty house.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Grebo

Not that bad look at the dates on replies there's still a bit of life in it yet.
May be we've just been to busy.. .. 

Darren Henry

I am still on here every morning about this time. I bring my laptop out into the little tent on my deck and have coffe and a smoke with the group. It's just hard to type in the dark.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

February 16, 2018, 06:32:10 am #3 Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:33:04 am by kodydog
We went camping for 3 nights. Sometimes its nice to go off line for a few days. I still check in almost every day but sometimes I just don't have anything to add. It seems like even the regulars are posting less and less but of all the groups I still like this one the best. More and more I find Facebook to be full of negativity and Zuckerburg has made it just about impossible to get my business page out to my customers. I guess I'll stick around here to the bitter end.

Sure would hate to see you go Paul. I have learned a lot from you.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Inger-in-Norway

Maybe I made it too difficult for new members to register. After the load of spam last autumn I made a captcha and three security questions. I'll remove one of those security questions and see if that helps. We haven't had many new members since then.

sofadoc

Quote from: Grebo on February 16, 2018, 03:50:29 am
May be we've just been to busy.. ..
I mentioned a couple of years ago that this forum was on life support. Back then everyone made the excuse of "Maybe we've just been too busy" ............That's not it.

Just about everyone (including me and Paul) have found plenty of daily activity on Facebook groups. It takes a nanosecond to upload a pic to FB. Here, you have to link your pic to a 3rd party site, which can be an ordeal at times.

In it's heyday, this was the best forum for discussing all things upholstery related. But like most people, I'm going to go where the action is.

If I had a comment or question, I could post it on one of the FB groups, and get 40-50 replies within the day. If I post it here, I'll get the same 3-4 replies that I've gotten before from the same 3-4 people. There just aren't any fresh perspectives here. A small handful of us have talked every possible subject right into the ground.

I'll keep checking in here from time to time. But frankly, I think the owner is wasting valuable bandwidth.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

You couldn't have Inger, and thank you for being a great help.
At this time I still have not began a facebook account, in time possibly.

Just want to say thank you all!
And have a good Friday
Floyd

Grebo

You've got some good points there, for me posting pictures is a right pita, as you said. FB makes it so easy.
I've never been that vocal here but did check in most days. No I haven't been around for quite some time but that's for personal reasons.
We've had a good run here, it sure was the best.
Probably is time to move on, c u around.

Suzi

SteveA

February 17, 2018, 12:32:52 pm #8 Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:34:32 pm by SteveA
Doc I always respect your forethought and master work experience, and to an extent sadly I agree the site is currently diminished.  However in my opinion Mike and Inger are not wasting their time. I appreciate this site as many others here do and this is where the right answers are.  40 - 50 replies - come on;  you can't believe you wouldn't rather (in no particular order) get a reply from Gene, Mike, Hammer, Rich, Doyle, Chris, Ian, Paul, Ed, Darren, Floyd, Bob  etc  just a few of the pros here (sorry if a name escapes me) you don't need those 50 motor mouths - you just need one of the aforementioned to get the right answer.  I don't do FB and maybe to some it's the best thing since sliced bread - TBD
What I see here is a site that has potential to be greater than it is.  I wonder if there is enough time put into the marketing end.  The site has thousands and thousands of views over a decade -  when I google the site it's on the first page.  The ownership has to bring it home to make it profitable and popular - talking it down isn't the best road.
SA

65Buick

For me FB is the pita. As SteveA said, motormouths.

And, most people I've talked to are over FB for a variety of reasons.

Darren Henry

I don't do FB. Maybe the group thing is different, but the account I set up is overwhelmed with crap I don't care about from people I hardly know. If I wanted to know what somebodies niece dressed the cat up as for Halloween---I'd call them.

Yes our membership ( of active posters) isn't what it was ten years ago, but it's still nice to hang out here every morning knowing that if I'm in a pickle someone will bail me out and that if I have an opinion or some advise I'm respected and considered a friend.

Instead of throwing in the towel, maybe we should reach out to those who have quit checking in here. I have contact info for Virginia and John, maybe a couple of others.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

SteveA

Mike (canvas in florida) and Mike MJ furniture - always good contributors
SA

MinUph

I thought this posting might spur some conversation. It isn't hard and at least there is something to read. Forums need to be used or they get lost in cyberspace by the search engines.
  I know the feeling about Facebook. For the past couple of days its been on my mind to stop going there or at least limit myself to a couple pages. Wich really isn't all that easy. I guess nothing is perfect ea?
  Anyway lets keep this thing somewhat alive and post something as often as possible. Maybe even start a discussion page on tips and tricks or something. Maybe in short order we might get some new blood. Professional blood if that's possible to weed out.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Sorry I haven't been around here. Just finished two weeks of back to back shows.

I have never seen the FB groups but then never looked. I love FB for keeping in touch with family and friends. We have family scattered all over the world and it is a great place to keep up on their lives.

I do belong to a few groups on FB but not any upholstery groups. I have never searched them down. I do moderate one group on FB for Samick Guitar owners but that is it.

I have always liked this place and called it " home ". Probably because I like all the people here. Great, honest, down to earth, hardworking group of people.

Mojo

65Buick

I'm glad people are talking .
Back when I first started I'd come here and just read to gather information. I saw some names then that I don't see now.
Yes if anyone can contact these people then try to bring them back.
I also realize that some very experienced upholsterers may not have many questions. But share! I would enjoy seeing what everyone is doing.