Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:59:14 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Death of a forum

Started by MinUph, February 15, 2018, 05:47:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

A thumbnail view would actually take up more space. A thumbnail is just a small version of the pic with a link to the full size one so it would be 2 images stored.
I'd like to know from the Admin if this is the reason or if it something else.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

brmax

I agree, and that if a member veiwing were implemented it would require a login. Though not! being a webmaster in the slightest. This counting of heads logged on or not may not matter in the lookie see count.
Then again it may promote as we would like and calmly encourage new interested memberships.  This as mentioned also can help the sale of items in the banner, Home section.

I have noticed other places while, not logged on some photos are viewable. In most other times its required to view pdf's and any photos.  This is above my pay grade as to describe how these parameters are setup.

Good day
Floyd

MinUph

Those parameters are generally setup as tick boxes in a setup page on the forum software.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Okay, so we just had a brand new member "Boyde" who couldn't figure out how to post pictures. Photo Bucket was a disaster. Google Photos was better but by that time I'm sure he was pretty frustrated. I hope he sticks around.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Yes I agree Kody, If the forum owner and admin doesn't keep up with the times it is all but a lost cause. In today's electronic age it has to be easy to do what you want to do on-line or you go somewhere where it is. I hope this all gets through to the owner and they decide to either make pics, and emojis work or move to another package that works.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Forum software can sometimes be expensive. Most forum software also takes a great deal of time administering behind the scenes. There are a few free forum software packages out there but I believe you have to live with advertising.

The software being used here is very outdated. The new software packages make things extremely easy to post pictures as well as other stuff.

Mojo

sofadoc

What really sucks for someone new is.......

There's a wealth of information in all the old archived posts. But most of the pics in those posts were linked to Photobucket, and now they don't work.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Nothing beats self control. Having control on the server and not relying on third parties to host pics.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

I guess the owner would have to weigh the cost of new software against any potential revenue he might generate from it. I know that many customers that visit the other pages on this site end up buying products, and may or may not stumble up on this forum.

Does this forum actually help sell products? I don't know. I guess it's possible that some of the people that come here for advice or guidance may end up purchasing something. And as Ingrid pointed out recently, it would certainly help if we made more of an effort to promote the items sold elsewhere on this site.

kodydog

February 23, 2018, 07:05:06 pm #39 Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:07:34 pm by kodydog
26 guests, 1 user. I betting most of those guest are do-it-yourselfers looking for advice and looking for a good place to buy supplies. Sure would be cool if we could interact with the owner. Isn't he an upholsterer?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

scottymc

Hi Fella's :-) . I haven't been here for a while, I have looked in on occasion but not had anything to add. Glad your still here, just in case I need to ask advice cause i know it's fair dinkum.

I was part of a facebook page,  https://www.facebook.com/groups/582682581756217/   upholsterers friendly forum. Bit of the blind leading the blind, run by someone who did a 2 week course and "upcycles' furniture. There are a lot of upholsterers from all over the world on the page and some really good ones, but they don't hang around as they get a bit sick of being told the right way to do it  by someone who has done a weekend course, taught by someone who did the 2 week course.:-)), it was base in England but had quite a few Americans in it also.

I will post a bit more, but I need to get on the sewing machine for now. I go to the trouble of trying to post some pics cause I am in the process of building a new workshop or shed as we like to call it over here. Nothing much more exciting as a new shed is there?

sofadoc

Quote from: scottymc on March 04, 2018, 07:31:32 pm
I was part of a facebook page,  https://www.facebook.com/groups/582682581756217/   upholsterers friendly forum. Bit of the blind leading the blind, run by someone who did a 2 week course and "upcycles' furniture. There are a lot of upholsterers from all over the world on the page and some really good ones, but they don't hang around as they get a bit sick of being told the right way to do it  by someone who has done a weekend course, taught by someone who did the 2 week course.:-)), it was base in England but had quite a few Americans in it also.
Good to hear from you again.

I belong to that forum, as well as a few others. The problem I see with the Upholsterer's Friendly Forum, is that countries like the UK, and Australia are jam packed with traditional method upholsterers that can sometimes be resentful of newbies that just watched a video on Youtube, or just polished off a 2-week course somewhere. Things do get "less than friendly" at times.

brmax

I have grown much older.
It has come to my attention in a few other parts of the world certain trades have requirements.  I respectfully agree with some of these, example apprenticeship.
What Maybe unseen or unknown is this might just be strictly required " before " providing certain trade task.

I hope this post reads as Experience Matters to me very much. My career was through a time when here in the U.S. these respectfull requirements were the seriously dropped requirement. This may sound hasrsh but tough its the fact!
  This change was strongly promoting college ( 4 year ) and not enough trades.  With this comment I stress many 2 year associate degrees are great.  Here is the stump speach; this basic gathered knowledge from a typical two year associate is what should be the begining apprenticeship program.
This requirement is an advantage not accessible to enough. This rating option dam well should be available in another form. Example certain testing off site and then an agreement for the employer to sign off under a set of guidelines list.

I post this because the carrot that is used oh so Dam much in both circumstances to workers needs reassessed. Experience matters first in job evaluation.

Good day
Floyd

ps: there is on this site a guild type insignia, I say to the most experienced here these insignias are older.

scottymc

Hi doc, There you go two opposite perspectives, I can see your view point, I found the English upholsterer's quite snobby and at the risk of sounding sexist it was mainly women who when you followed their media trail were doing courses and the going home and teaching courses, they had a shopfront and sprucing that they made heaps more money than in there corporate job or whatever they had, you know they are full of BS then. :-) These people have more media savvy than most of us fossils and being women relate to the client more, it's like them getting an interior designer and upholsterer rolled into one, good luck to them but it's not my cup of tea. I see there are a lot of people like that springing up in the larger town/cities in America.

I feel for American's as youtube seems to be your upholstering teaching network, I see there is some lady on that facebook page with an upholstery coarse I think in Los Angeles charging some pretty big dollars to fly out an english upholsterer to teach short courses, Like an American isn't good enough!   

It's sort of funny how facebook is taking over from forums, on a forum i can ask a question and will get referred to a post where the subject has been discussed till the cows come home and then I can ask for more info, can't really do that on facebook can you? Information just gets lost!     

sofadoc

Quote from: scottymc on March 05, 2018, 11:10:24 am
on a forum i can ask a question and will get referred to a post where the subject has been discussed till the cows come home and then I can ask for more info, can't really do that on facebook can you? Information just gets lost!   
FB does have a search feature. But you just have to guess at the right keywords to find an old thread. It's easier to pull up an archived thread on forums like this one. Once a thread has been covered up on FB, it's hard to find it again. That's why the same questions get re-cycled about once a month.