Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:00:10 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Advice

Started by Bella02, February 26, 2018, 06:57:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella02

Hi

I hope you don't mind me posting here but I can not find any answers anywhere else.

Inherited a old bed at a guess it is from the 1920's to 1940's. It gave developed a hole and the stuffing is coming out. I am worried that the divan bed base was full of nasty stuff like asbestos (Sorry but I have health anxiety and I am really worried). What I can see is the top fabric, black felt, Hessian, springs and the Hessian bottom.

Do you think this would have anything dangerous in it? I know you can't give me a definite answer.

Thanks in advance for any information

sofadoc

Never heard of any asbestos stuffing ever being used. Kapok looks like thin silky cotton fibers. If the fibers get loose in the air, they can be easily breathed in. But they're not carcinogenic. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Bella02

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I know it was used in matteresses and sofas but wasn't sure if it was used in bed divan bases. Would there be stuffing in beside the springs as it's empty now.

Sorry for all the stupid questions but been really worried about my children breathing something harmful in.

Bella02

Hi

Has anyone ever heard of asbestos being woven into fabric for furniture?

Thanks

MinUph

In the 49 years I've been in this business I have not heard of any asbestos being used in upholstery. I would think if anything it might have been used in fire retardancy fabrics use in very special purpose not for household furniture use. I think you are very safe.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

The only fabric ever made that contained asbestos was industrial blankets that were used to wrap pipes and equipment in power plants. It was heavily used of course in insulation. It was never used in bedding on any kind.

Mojo

Bella02

Thank you for your reply Paul and Mojo. It has helped me a lot. I have been so worried and upset. I have had the bed for 20 years and I managed to convince myself that it had asbestos in the bed and I had put my family in danger but that is anxiety for you.

The bed is now heading to the bin which is sad as it was a lovely bed.

Thanks again for your help and replies.

kodydog

February 26, 2018, 05:18:24 pm #7 Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 05:21:16 pm by kodydog
When you say the ben I guess you mean the dump. I understand your health issues, no telling what is in that old mattress. But couldn't you discard the mattress and save the frame and buy a new mattress? I'm guessing if it is from the 20"s-40's it is worth saving.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Bella02

The mattress on the bed is new. The bed consists of a headboard, a footboard which are held together by a metal down each side the a bed divan base was put on top of this (it's this part I am worried about) and the you put a mattress on top of that. I think it would cost to much to replace that part.

The fabric that is covering the base looks like silk but I have read that asbestos was mixed with other materials and the fabric was usually good or silver and the base is gold with silver flowers pattern

SteveA

Bella -
I have read that many fabrics are fire resistant - I don't know what that means or if gassing off occurs while in use.  You're not wrong to be careful - over the years I think of diet soda - caned foods, preservatives, and many other things sold to consumers with no real warnings - if your not comfortable with something go on your first instinct
SA   

karenward

Thanks a lot for this advice! It is really useful
Hi to everybody here!