Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 22, 2024, 11:27:42 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

And the fun begins: Retro Loveseat

Started by 65Buick, January 12, 2018, 04:53:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

Instead of cotton I tie the strings around a 3" piece of tee braid welt folded in half.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

65Buick

Starting to understand this a bit more - make spring tying seem easy!

You super pro folks - after you've determined where you want to button, are you able tob just eyeball the fabric for needle placement?

MinUph

Yes. You work with the weave of the fabric. How I do it is start from a horizontal like across the goods and a center line going up the goods chalked on the back of the fabric. I do the bottom row first then work up from there keeping the weave straight and working the fabric and folds to lay nice as I go. Adjusting the folds after the burron is in. The only time I would mark the back for each button is if I were tufting a board and 1" of foam/cotton.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Previously, there were 3 fabric sections. One for the middle, and then 2 armrest sections. They were sewn in.

If I have the fabric, which I might, wouldn't it be easier to sew 2 big pieces together that runs right down the middle of the backrest?

kodydog

Quote from: 65Buick on March 13, 2018, 07:29:21 pm

You super pro folks - after you've determined where you want to button, are you able tob just eyeball the fabric for needle placement?

I know some folks who can do it this way. I have never been able. I draw the lines on the back of the fabric but only for reference points. Different types of fabric, different thickness of foam and different foam densities, even different styles of furniture make the hole placement... different. You may have to deviate from the lines but you can use the lines to give you a good idea where you are at.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Quote from: kodydog on March 15, 2018, 06:36:03 pm
Quote from: 65Buick on March 13, 2018, 07:29:21 pm

I don't know about super pro but I do it this way. I don't really "eyeball" but pull the fabric where I want it using the grain or "weave" to keep things straight. Re-tufting old is a bit different than all new.

I know some folks who can do it this way. I have never been able. I draw the lines on the back of the fabric but only for reference points. Different types of fabric, different thickness of foam and different foam densities, even different styles of furniture make the hole placement... different. You may have to deviate from the lines but you can use the lines to give you a good idea where you are at.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

65Buick

That's the guy Kody. I've been watching that video on repeat. Makes it look easy.

SteveA

kodydog

That guy looks like he could tuft with his eyes closed. I'm guessing he does this everyday, 5 days a week. He does a very nice job. I notice he lets all the extra, loose fabric gather where the back meets the arm.

65Buick

Quote from: SteveA on March 16, 2018, 08:53:27 am
Is that one piece of leather ?
SA

No. You can see a seam down the middle of the backrest. If you look closely, you can also see the corners have been sewn. But I think that's to make the pleating easier. I think this is two big pieces of leather.

And Kody, yes. He is impressive. If you look at the comments he gets paid by the job. But he is quick and methodical.

65Buick

Made it to here:

http://gdurl.com/S_Rk

I thought diamond tufting was developed to be able to round inside corners like this. But I don't see a way.
The old fabric was stitched just after the corner.

I have sewn a seam down the middle, making the width of the fabric 108".

MinUph

Is your seam right down the middle of the far left buttons?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Yes, the seam is exactly where you stated. It's the center of the piece.

65Buick

Paul, I can see that piecing at the sides is not the only way of doing this. But, is it the easiest?
I have struggled with this for too long. I may have to move on or just upholster it flat.