Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:54:26 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Wide world of Textiles

Started by 65Buick, April 05, 2018, 11:36:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Had this on my mind for awhile. Fabrics and other textiles have a LOT of marketing. I often wonder how to differentiate. There are folks peddling fabrics on every corner it seems.

Myself, I tend to gravitate to designer fabrics, mainly because I can be assured that they are quality. If something were to go wrong, the company would likely be concerned. E.g. Kravet.

I think we can all agree that we put our best into our pieces because we want it to last for the longest time possible. For a number of reasons.

But where do we draw the line? I don't think many of customers or potential customers know or care about the details of fabric. They want a good price. Obviously, we don't want something like what's been talked about before - vinyl that will not stop stretching. Or maybe poor colorfastness. Or, premature wear.

None of us, I believe, have access to a Wyzenbeek. But even if we did, it still wouldn't tell us everything.

I think maybe a good start is to avoid textiles made in China. There is simply too much risk. Too little oversight.
But what else can we do? A remnant may work well for a certain project, etc.

Folks dealing with textiles long-time, what have you learned?

kodydog

We had a couple stop by a couple of weeks ago. They had a vinyl that was in storage for about ten years. Yeah, I just felt everyone cringe. When Rose took a good look at it she noticed the edges were peeling. And when she split it, it came completely apart. It was no good and we told them. They were grateful and left to get something better. Two hours later they came back with something more suitable.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qifSQ9q5poo2jHXC3

There is a lot of garbage out there. Its up to us to inspect everything that comes into the shop.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Quote from: 65Buick on April 05, 2018, 11:36:52 am

Folks dealing with textiles long-time, what have you learned?

There are companies that only deal with quality 90% of the time. I have seem bad fabrics from just about any supplier I have ever dealt with. I have a Schumacher fabric in the shop that is nice looking but woven weirdly. I don't know where is was made as it doesn't really matter to me I am to put it on and make it look right. But the point is junk comes from everywhere. Smaller companies might be a little easier to deal with when issues crop up. I don't remember having to call on a company to deal with a defective piece of fabric I had sold.
  So there is no great answer to the issue of inferior textiles. As I have said before China is not at fault the companies that order from them are. They get what they order. If they order cut rate fabric that's what they get. If they order high quality stuff China is more than capable to make it. That goes for any product not just textiles.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

April 06, 2018, 06:04:40 am #3 Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:09:25 am by gene
The worst I saw was a $7 per yard "Sunbrella" fabric that the designer got on the internet. It was so warped and improperly woven that it would not lay flat on my table. I refused to use it to reupholster a chair. It was clearly a Sunbrella knock off.

I get chenille and velvet fabrics occasionally that are rolled up with irremovable wrinkles in them. I can't see how this is not done on purpose.

I'll send homeowners to several places if they are buying their own fabric. Jo Ann Fabrics carries Robert Allen which is a quality line of fabric. The problem is that they pick a $30 per yard Robert Allen and then they see a $10 per yard of off brand or no brand similar color fabric and buy that. "Look at the money I saved!"

I email or text this video to homeowners who are buying their own fabric. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9P9hSoZuQ4

Weight, drape, weave, and double rub.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on April 06, 2018, 06:04:40 am
Weight, drape, weave, and double rub.
The COM customers around here have 4 completely different criteria.

1) Must be cheap
2) Must never wear out
3) Must never get dirty
4) Did I mention cheap?

Gene said:
I'll send homeowners to several places if they are buying their own fabric. Jo Ann Fabrics carries Robert Allen which is a quality line of fabric. The problem is that they pick a $30 per yard Robert Allen and then they see a $10 per yard of off brand or no brand similar color fabric and buy that. "Look at the money I saved!"

That's exactly why I don't send them to JoAnns or Hobby Lobby. They start out looking at $30 yd. fabrics, then their eyes will inevitably gravitate over to the bargain junk. Then they bring it to me all wadded up and crammed in a plastic bag.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

How important is the drape aspect of fabric - I don't understand what to look for when assessing drape ?  or the importance ?
SA

gene

April 06, 2018, 06:55:56 pm #6 Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:58:04 pm by gene
Drape is kind of like 'not stiff'. And in my mind it includes an element of stretchiness. A thick, stiff, cotton canvas that would work great for an army cot might be too stiff to use to reupholster a club chair. No drape.

Is the drape enough to allow the fabric to conform to the shape of the furniture? I've had micro fiber fabrics that are stiff and almost no stretch in them and then to put them on a tight radius barrel back chair can be a pain.

Too much drape might be thought of as being too stretchy. Would you ever want to reupholster a chair in spandex?

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Gene,
  My dad and I once did a sofa out of what was called at the time double knit. You might consider it the pre-spandex. It stretched like a piece of elastic. I remember my father doing the cushions three or four times and they ended up tiny until the filling was added. It upholstered nice on the piece it hugged the framework like spandex on a body. It was a challenge and I've never seen it again. I'm sure it was some C.O.M.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website