Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 09:23:42 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Salon chairs

Started by 65Buick, December 08, 2017, 12:32:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

February 15, 2018, 07:35:39 am #15 Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 07:47:26 am by Grebo
I'm glad this came up I have just landed 11 clinic chairs to recover, it's for my osteopath so a bit tricky to get out of.
Not something I normally do but I thought I would give it a go ( fool )
He's chosen silvertex from Spradling which is a lovely material but a bit thicker/stiffer than the original cloth.
I thought I would treat the corners like I would a flat panel, cut the corner into fingers & pull & stretch around.
Any tips on getting them nice & smooth, or is that how to do it, with trial & error.

I know it's not pretty, first attempt.
Ta

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Grebo

Rich

65Buick, cut your pieces a little smaller, you have too much bulk at the corners and the foam is not filling the cover sufficiently.

Grebo, the pads look good, a heat gun will eliminate the need to make all those cuts on the bottom. Not knowing the whole job, I can't say for sure, but you might not have to be leaving so much excess underneath either. You may be able to staple closer to the edge and trim the excess.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

65Buick

Interesting, Rich.
When i used the old cover as a template I didn't cut any extra for seam allowance, figuring it was stretched. So I probably ended up almost an inch smaller. Tomorrow I do number 2. Bit too late to change that but I will keep in mind as I go.

Grebo

February 19, 2018, 03:40:38 am #20 Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:41:46 am by Grebo
Thanks Rich that's very helpful. I didn't think of stapling closer will try that on the next on.

suzi

65Buick

Salon seat #2.
http://gdurl.com/g_Gw

Happy with the stitching. Happy with mostly the vinyl conforming to the shape. But should it be tighter? I am not sure what to do next.

MinUph

Looks good to me 65.
Nice work.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Really? It is better than the first, for sure. I just thought it felt a bit loose right in the middle and have been wondering if it will lead to puddling in the future.

MinUph

Its hard to tell that in the pic. If your concerned you would need to glue the center down. But I doubt it will show any wrinkles in the middle with use.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

The black is hard to take a photo.
That front curve or arc is hard to sew. I've done well before but maybe it is the vinyl.
I will cut the foam just a little bigger up front in hope of filling up that arc a bit better.
Paul if you say the middle should be fine, I trust that. I don't know if I would want to risk glueing in case the seat takes on a different appearance than the others I've done.

65Buick

Well... In my opinion #2 was better than #1 or #3.

When I'm all done i will post up some better photos of each.

And, maybe someone like Kody could answer this: I saw no indication of temp tacking. It appeared that the upholsterer strategically stapled once & done. That - is impressive.

65Buick

kodydog

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html