Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:41:36 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Salon chairs

Started by 65Buick, December 08, 2017, 12:32:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

December 08, 2017, 12:32:39 pm Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 01:06:16 pm by 65Buick
Easy job.
Just 2 questions
1. The vinyl is smooth, and has no grain to it. What to get?
2. Foam firmness. I am thinking firm, like 45lb. For seats.

http://gdurl.com/5tvX

kodydog

When bidding commercial jobs price is always most important. Firm foam would be a good idea.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I keep a 30 yd. roll of black vinyl in stock. Smooth grain. It might vary a little from one roll to the next. I buy whatever the supplier currently has a promotional price on. Usually around $7.95 yd.

Most salons want black. If they want another color, the price goes up significantly.

Since I only stock 35lb. and 50lb. foam, I go with 50.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

My supplier calls the grade 18-45 for a semi firm seat. Open up and see what was there before. I have the sample foams that supplier's give you upon request.   I ask the client to sit on both the 45 + 65 then ask them to sign off on the one they like. 
My opinion I would recommend what we use here from this supplier the 45 - the 65 is for bench seating.
SA

Darren Henry

Be careful saying "easy job". I've had salon chairs,message tables etc...become a loosing proposition because I didn't allow enough time for all the disassembly and a few rusted/bent bolts.

If it is an upscale salon, show them some samples of Crypton. I've used a fair bit of it for the hospital here.They have some nice patterns and solids.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

65Buick

You're right Darren. I shouldn't say easy job. Hardly ever is.

This salon wants to just replace seats to buy some time. I imagine she has plans for down the road. But I quoted her a price for 4 New seats that would be less than buying one new chair.

carlkelly

Yes, I think that chairs this is not the last thing which they will change in this place
Hi to everybody here!

65Buick

What sort of specs do people look for when selecting a vinyl or contract fabric? As I read about it, I am understanding that double-rub ratings aren't necessarily everything.

I think manufacturers have gotten past their problems with peeling vinyl, but I just need to be sure.

MinUph

Specs on vinyl are not something most customers look at. That is up to us to figure and show the proper types. The basics are standard cheap run of the mill that is good for certain projects. Marine which has UV and mold inhibitors. Contract can mean many things but I consider it for commercial uses. Hospitality is good for hotels etc good strong stuff. Geriatric or medical and health care vinyls are good for bodily fluids etc. I use to love the Naugahyde vinyls still do they show all this for each sample.
  A good way to understand vinyl is like. It all starts out as a plastic, hard. There are softening agents added to make is soft and supple, other agents are added as mentioned above for various used. Take marine for example. Without the UV protection it would get hard very quickly as the sun draws the softening agent to the surface and they dissipate.
  It's all the same idea just different things draw out the agents unless there are protections added to the mix.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Thanks Paul.

At this point in time, Naugahyde is a brand, rather than a group on vinyl, is that correct?
There are many competitors, each with their own name. It is about comparing and contrasting the various manufacturers.

As with many things, just only time will tell.

Iain

65Buick

Found plastic film under the vinyl. Think that was to help round the edges of the foam, or to prevent liquids from getting into the foam?
Or both?

Darren Henry

It's only function is to let the vinyl "slide"as you stretch it on rather that sticking to the foam. I always keep a roll of Saran wrap in the shop to put on corners etc before I stretch the cover on,
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

65Buick

Coming together. Paul mentioned once that most stretch of vinyl is across the roll.
With this is mind, does it make sense to orient the stretch across the seat , or front to back?

I did my first one front to back.

Darren Henry

Most of the vinyls I get up here in Canada don't have much difference up/across the roll for stretch. Or maybe I was a shoemaker too long and the difference seems less important to me compered to leather LOL. With leather or a vinyl that does have a real difference I was always taught to run the stretch side to side. The logic is that people don't slide side to side as hard or as often as they do front to back getting in and out of the seat. Less chance of it stretching out and "bagging/wrinkling"  that way.

65Buick

http://gdurl.com/0zGZ

I have 4 of these. This is the first. This vinyl is the best grade, for schoolbuses etc. the lady at the shop said.

Overall I think it turned out pretty well. the improvement would be the curve at the front/boxing. That was tricky to sew. I tried pulling the vinyl different directions and making sure it was warm. But still it kind of puckered/bulged.

Only thing I can think of is maybe loosen the curve a bit, so it's a more relaxed arc.

I used 3" HR foam. So I think the owner will be quite happy with these. Originally the foam was o.k., but the vinyl was cheap and it cracked.