Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:13:28 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Buttons

Started by 65Buick, December 06, 2017, 11:10:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

For buttons used on inside backs, do you need that buttoning tool (vise)?

I saw a video where a lady used a small plastic cup and was able to make her own buttons. Not sure if it would have the strength needed, though.

sofadoc

If you're going to do this work for a living, you might as well suck it up and buy a press and dies. I wouldn't trust any of those artsy-fartsy methods.

Some suppliers will make the buttons for you if you send them the fabric.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

December 06, 2017, 02:03:53 pm #2 Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:58:58 pm by 65Buick
That was my thought sofa. My supplier made me a few last time, but by the time I pay for all of them this time, I might as well buy the tool.

I see lots of these for sale used (ebay) but am I better of buying a set with the dies? My current button looks like is says "28" on the back. The outside diameter is 5/8" while the inner base part is 1/2".

SteveA

I agree - buy what you need as necessary - using the tools will sharpen your skills and knowledge.  When I bought the button maker I got three sizes which seem to be fairly common - 22 - 30 - 36

SA

65Buick

If 30 is a common size, I should probably just get that instead of the 28.

SteveA

Unless you're matching a button size ......... usually when you make buttons for a recovered piece you change all the buttons so the size you have isn't much of an issue as long as it is close to what was there.  The buttons can come with different bottoms - eye or nail
SA

sofadoc

Quote from: 65Buick on December 07, 2017, 12:22:26 pm
If 30 is a common size, I should probably just get that instead of the 28.
Never even heard of size 28. If you can only afford one size, get 30's. If you can afford two sizes, get 22's as well.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

Will do. Thank you.

And I thought 28 with strange, kind of small.

MinUph

December 07, 2017, 03:26:47 pm #8 Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:27:44 pm by MinUph
22s would be smaller than 28s. Ive never heard of 28 either.
22 and 30s were the only two sizes I had for 30 years. Now I have several others but 22 and 30 are the most used by far.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

strange. Maybe that's all the factory had at the time. I assure you, it does say 28.

baileyuph

Correct there is a size 28 as well as a size 30 (1/16 in. larger).  They both have their place, but
the 30 is suggested because it will meet most upholsters requirements - that is probably more of
the requirements.

Now you know, buy the 30 and it probably will meet all or most or more of your requirements.

Doyle

Grebo

I don't use many buttons ( normally) but bought the button press mainly due to not being able to get them made locally.
Which has opened up a few extra jobs simply because I have what other shops don't. Plus I have since added the dies for 3 grommet sizes which I do use a far bit.
It does sit idle most of the time but the convenience is well worth it.