Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:19:01 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New fancy nail gun

Started by MinUph, December 04, 2017, 06:57:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

The new brass nail gun.
  I haven't mentioned it here but Denis got me going on this and I bought one too. It is a great addition to the tool cabinet. I've only done one job with it so far but that one was a breeze. No pain in the fingers holding the nails. It worked fine close to finish wood. And even taking the time to load the board thingy it saved some time. Well worth the 200 bucks. And it runs on like 75-80 lbs. Just a shot when you pull the trigger so it works on all our compressors.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Did you get the one featured on the forum?

When I'm using brass tacks I find that when I get to the end of a row I have to slightly space the last 5 or 6 to get the row to end properly. Does this gun allow that or do you still finish by hand?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on December 05, 2017, 06:04:42 am
Did you get the one featured on the forum?

When I'm using brass tacks I find that when I get to the end of a row I have to slightly space the last 5 or 6 to get the row to end properly. Does this gun allow that or do you still finish by hand?
If you're talking about this forum, no. It was discussed on the PUSF group on FB.

You will still have to space out the last 3 or 4 nails by hand.

For someone who does 100's of nails a week and is very fast at doing them by hand, this single-shot nailer probably will not increase their productivity. But for guys like me that only does nailhead work occasionally, it's nice to save wear and tear on old fingers.

Here's the link. I noticed that it's gone up to $250 now.
http://www.alanrichardtextiles.com/store/OSB6750.html

I'm having a little trouble getting the air pressure adjusted just right. At 90 PSI, it scratches the heads a little. When I turn the air down to 75, the driver blade only recoils halfway between shots. I assume there's a sweet spot somewhere between 75 and 90.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

Do you guys advise against nails (decorative tacks) whenever possible? It's so time consuming. I noticed that it's come back in popularity. I would much rather make welt and install than tacks.

sofadoc

Quote from: 65Buick on December 05, 2017, 11:06:36 am
Do you guys advise against nails (decorative tacks) whenever possible? It's so time consuming. I noticed that it's come back in popularity. I would much rather make welt and install than tacks.
I have no preference. Some people hate driving nails. Others hate making double welt. The only time I might try to talk the customer out of nails, is on an old antique with soft or perforated wood.

Most of my customers want double welt. Not because I steer them in that direction.

MinUph

Yes nails need to be put in very neatly. I as well as most others I'm sure just use their eye as the tool of choice. As well as a hammer of course. Or now a nailer. Bernie used our nailer today and plans on picking up his own. He's like that. He loved it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

MinUph

December 06, 2017, 09:14:01 am #6 Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:44:59 pm by MinUph
Actually I'm down to three of us. My seamstress left the other day and I need to fill that position. Tiff one to fill too.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Back to the nail gun:

I need information on how the tacks are feed into the gun.  Surely not manually- one at a time?

I guess there is picture that would clarify the feeding process?  Another ?,  handling different tack sizes?

Sounds like a good thing to have around.

Doyle

MinUph

https://www.google.com/search?q=C.S.+Osborne+Pneumatic+Decorative+Nailer&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS772US772&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=vxDlZBRDk-rc3M%253A%252CIKQE4RteyOb2_M%252C_&usg=__XiXqQECBoL-C9dQxVSKxzSv33SQ%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj8meGsnfrXAhXidN8KHZbfAWYQ9QEIPzAE#imgrc=vxDlZBRDk-rc3M:

This link shows the gun and board. You pickup the nails one at a time off the board.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

December 08, 2017, 06:17:40 am #9 Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:20:58 am by kodydog
Cool! Will it do different size nails? It looks like the nail goes up inside the barrel.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

No Kody,
  Just the standard size nails. Maybe after awhile they will come out with other size heads to fasten to the gun.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

MinUph

I wrote Osborne about using 3/4" nails. I had to and they stick out of the head making it very easy to turn the nail off center. I also asked about other shaped nails and sizes. They wrote back saying they are working on the 3/4" issue and also on new styles of nail heads. This is good news. We love this tool. Best thing since the stapler.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

The new nail gun, load/shoot one at a time - 

Question arises:

How does it compare to the UFFY that shoots from a load of several at a time?

Is it accuracy that is superior (Osborne)?

I have never used the UFFY.  It is referenced as a decorative tack gun and
the Osborne is a "nailer".  Any significance in the two terms?

The UFFY is at what cost?

Doyle

sofadoc

The Osborne costs around $250. The Uffy is $600.
Not sure about the difference in terms between "nailer" and "tack gun". Maybe because the nailer only shoots one at a time?

The Uffy can be a bit of an air hog because of the swirling air cannister. Some have complained that they have to stop and let their air compressor catch up.

My only complaint with the Osborne nailer is that every time I get ready to use it, I have to play with the air pressure and fire a few test shots and play some more until I get the air pressure just right. Too much air scratches the heads. Too little air, and the nails don't drive in all the way. Maybe if I had a better regulator on my air line it wouldn't be as much trouble.

baileyuph

Very informative Dennis:

The Osborne would help the seldom user (being one at a time) because what is the old tack hammer
method - one at a time.

So, an improvement is not all bad nor is the cheaper price.

I suppose the air pressure issue could be worked out.

For discussion:  What equipment is used in a higher volume situation like a factory?

Doyle