Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 04:22:44 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sewing vinyl

Started by gene, November 16, 2017, 03:56:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I'm working with an expensive vinyl. It has a felt type backing.

When I sew two pieces together, I can pull the pieces at the seam and I can see the thread. It's a light blue vinyl and I'm using a white thread.

My sewing machine is adjusted correctly.

Is the only solution to use a light blue thread, or is that a way to tighten my stitch? It stays tight when using fabric.

Thanks,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

If you don't want to tighten the tensions on the machine try adding another thickness of fabric on the seam. It will tighten the stitch. You should use the correct color anyway. Whit is like a bright light against blue.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

Thank you Paul. I had not thought of adding an additional piece of fabric.

It's my understanding that I can tighten my bobbin thread only to a certain tightness. I then adjust my top thread accordingly. I'm I correct in this? If so, how would I tighten the stitch?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

November 18, 2017, 05:34:18 pm #3 Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:37:09 pm by baileyuph
The stitch tension can be made tighter.  Check that out on the material being sewn.

Needle size, is an item that is worth looking at.

Thread size also.

Some vinyls stretch and the direction of the seam with respect to that can play a small role (stretch along the seam would show the thread more). 

First, it might be simpler to go with the blue thread.

You are probably on top of all this, just thought I would mention.

Good luck,

Doyle

MinUph

Im sure your bobbin is tensioned correctly it has been discussed enough. If the stitch is balanced that all you can ask for. I would try tightening the bobbin slightly along with rebalancing the top just to see the outcome for this vinyl.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

If it isn't prohibitive, the layer selected to add, doesn't have to be that thick, just much less stretch in the direction of the seam, as Paul mentioned.

Doyle

Mojo

I used to sew vinyl with a tight tension. I also used the smallest needle I could with the size thread I was using and then adjust the stitch length to where it was not so tight.

Mojo