Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 06:01:53 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Re-Upholstering a Lazy Boy

Started by BlueFlamingo, October 28, 2017, 08:00:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueFlamingo

Just wondering what the average cost/pricing would be for a Lazy Boy Recliner Re-Upholstering job. I've has several requests but when I calculate the time + materials costs to do the job, I'm thinking it's not worth my time or the customers money to do the job.
What are you guys charging? 
My calculations are $200 for material and $400 labor.  Am I way off???

SteveA

You're probably low on the labor cost but it all has to do with your area and what the replacement cost is-
I'm sure your client will remind you that that can buy a good recliner for almost the same price as recovering.
SA

baileyuph

Most new recliners today are a 1 to 3 year item.

If analysis of the older Lazy Boy (quality and condition) is done - a customer would never buy new
that is better. 

Every day, I see newer, foreign made,recliners bit the dust in less than 3 years.

Doyle

MinUph

It's not really your call to say it isn't with it. You are doing this I would think to make a living. Give the price your comfortable with and allow the customer to decide. Pricing varies by locals but I would agree your labor seems low.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on November 05, 2017, 09:15:04 am
It's not really your call to say it isn't with it. You are doing this I would think to make a living. Give the price your comfortable with and allow the customer to decide. Pricing varies by locals but I would agree your labor seems low.
Technically, I agree. Just give them your price and let them decide. But if you tell them $800-$1000 to recover a recliner that they only paid $399 for to begin with, it's pretty much the same thing as telling them it isn't worth it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Is this question talking about literally a Lazy Boy (made in the US)?  Or is the subject matter used
generically?

It can make a difference on the cost question and replacement cost.

A new Lazy-Boy, like I said, "made in the US" cannot be bought for the same money an imported
recliner can. Even then, the imported recliner in decent quality fabric "brand new for $300" or about
would be difficult to find. 

I reupholstered two Lazy-Boy recliners in a good quality fabric for about 1500 bucks, which was
not a bad way to go because the recliner quality justified it (Lazy-Boy literally).  As a note, for the two;
the time required wasn't too bad because - doing the two factor.

Selling and understanding what is being sold and to what market can have a lot to do in the
business (as with any business).

On the flip side, if the recliner was not made by Lazy-Boy (which implies in the US), then it would
likely cast a different light on the subject of price for a recliner job.

Good Luck,
Doyle

sofadoc

baileyuph

None of those recliners were made in the USA and their advertisement doesn't clarify
where they were made.

Turns out a corporate officer had me working on some of their new furniture and he said they were
imports.

They had a Lazy Boy sticker on them but it did not say made by :  Lazy-Boy

The officer told me they would be broke if they hadn't gone in that direction.

Doyle

kodydog

November 11, 2017, 06:02:17 pm #8 Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 06:02:58 pm by kodydog
Quote from: BlueFlamingo on October 28, 2017, 08:00:35 am
My calculations are $200 for material and $400 labor.  Am I way off???

Here are my calculations. You are selling fabrics from your books. I'm thinking $35 to $40 per yard. Most modern recliners will take minimum 8 yards. That's $280 for fabric on a small recliner with a lower priced fabric.

We charge $600 to $800 for labor on a recliner. But we really don't like doing them so we charge more. I haven't seen the recliner you are bidding on but my bare minimum would be more like $880 for labor and fabric. And then I would be kicking myself in the ass for not charging more.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: baileyuph on November 11, 2017, 05:39:13 pm
None of those recliners were made in the USA and their advertisement doesn't clarify
where they were made.

Turns out a corporate officer had me working on some of their new furniture and he said they were
imports.

They had a Lazy Boy sticker on them but it did not say made by :  Lazy-Boy

The officer told me they would be broke if they hadn't gone in that direction.

Doyle

I can't tell any difference in quality between a cheap import Lazy Boy, and one that is " Made in the USA".
They're both poor compared to Lazy Boys made 20-30 years ago.

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on November 11, 2017, 06:02:17 pm

We charge $600 to $800 for labor on a recliner. But we really don't like doing them so we charge more.
I agree. Unless you replace the mechanism and every last inch of foam and padding, and completely re-glue every loose joint, you're really NOT doing the customer any favors by reupholstering their Lazy Boy, or most any other brand of recliner.

IMO, Most recliners made in the last 20 years are better off disposed of.