Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:32:28 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Name brand, designer fabrics or not?

Started by 65Buick, October 24, 2017, 12:37:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

OK, So the cushion can be done in one piece. Why would you want to RR the fabric then? The back can be done in three sections. Tuft the center section first and add the sides to it. No sewing just folding and hiding the folds. When you get to the points on the center section leave the buttons at the edges out until you get the ends in place then the folds will all be made down as they should be. Or seeing it is you first one you can tuft the whole center and just use twine ties where the patching in will be and us buttons on the side sections over the twines. You will have a much better piece and actually it will tuft easier being the nap is running down.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

yikes. Is there a way you can use paint and draw on my image? That's a lot to digest. Got a little time though.

baileyuph

This project will or could be an education.  I have always done a back like this by computing the
diamond size and creating the back to go on in three sections. Often the thee sections were created
and sewn together before installation with the buttons, etc.

In analysis, the tufted back can be closely looked at to see how it was done (look/feel for seams at the
corner tufts).  We never RR a velvet on a job like this (or any fabric).

This piece of furniture can draw a lot of respect when finished, if attention is focused.

The cushion deck springs are........coils? 

The skirt, one's imagination can see a piece of art work about to happen there.  The small pleats
on each side -  (some are sewn and I have seen them folded when making the deck side to side seam).  I suspect the pleats are sewn??

Oh, while investigating the coil spring question and are able, check the filler in the backrest (tuft area).  This could give decent clues on the date of manufacture?  This piece could date around early
60's.  Have fun and hope you learn a lot.

Like said, this is the project!

All eyes are on it.

Douyle

MinUph

Quote from: 65Buick on November 18, 2017, 04:45:28 pm
yikes. Is there a way you can use paint and draw on my image? That's a lot to digest. Got a little time though.

http://www.minichillosupholstery.com/temp/tuft.jpg

See if that makes sense.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Doyle,

I don't believe it is that old. The backrest was formed using marshall springs, foam, and cotton.
Additionally, synthetic burlap was used for the coil spring base (seat) and for the backrest too.
I would estimate this piece is probably less than 30 years old.

65Buick

Quote from: MinUph on November 18, 2017, 05:52:33 pm

See if that makes sense.

Still don't understand.
First, use twine under first layer for indentation?
2nd normally pieced fabric around inside curve is angled slightly. Being velvet it would show.
3rd am I sewing the pieces together?

MinUph

November 23, 2017, 01:25:55 pm #21 Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 01:28:23 pm by MinUph
Quote from: 65Buick on November 23, 2017, 10:04:33 am
Quote from: MinUph on November 18, 2017, 05:52:33 pm

See if that makes sense.

Still don't understand.
First, use twine under first layer for indentation?
This is just a loop of twine instead of a button. The next section (add on) will be where the button is used to cover the looped twine

2nd normally pieced fabric around inside curve is angled slightly. Being velvet it would show.
You would run this piece of velvet parallel to the front of the arm or perpendicular to the seat. It will be running in the proper direction. Note: if you RR the fabric this will be running up hill when you get to this area.

3rd am I sewing the pieces together?
No sewing together. Just folding in the diamonds to mate with center section where the looped twines are.

If I remember I will take pictures of the next job this applies to.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Cool. I looked around on youtube & in my books but couldn't find anything.
Still have a few more things to do prep-wise before I get to the velvet.

MinUph

There are many things you won't find on Youtube.
  I hope you understand now what I am saying. If not let me know.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Thanks Paul

Thinking ahead: Something I hadn't considered before. The front apron (front section of decking) is right about the width of the fabric. It also would need a couple pleats for the curve at the edge.

Hoping this doesn't throw off my hope to run the velvet as it should be.

And stupidly I threw out the old decking, but my thought it that it should be pleated to conform to the curve, and then sewn that way to the decking.

MinUph

In your picture there is a seam in the center of the seat. You can do that again, or if the width comes around to the edge where it meets the arm and hides a little that would work too but I doubt it. Seem in the center then fit the seat.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Paul your eyes are obviously still good!
I didn't even notice that. Thank you.

65Buick

Still studying the patching method.

I think I may be starting to understand. I have my armrest section, I fold a section of right side together. Then using taught twine to follow the diamond tuft.
Once done, go back and insert button.

Is that right?

MinUph

Quote from: 65Buick on December 11, 2017, 02:20:23 pm
Still studying the patching method.

I think I may be starting to understand. I have my armrest section, I fold a section of right side together. Then using taught twine to follow the diamond tuft.
Once done, go back and insert button.

Is that right?

I cant say I understand this but if it works it is right :)
  Yes my eyes are still OK. Just need contacts. LOL
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website