Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:56:04 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bernina 217

Started by DDandJ, May 26, 2014, 08:57:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DDandJ

Hello everyone.  I haven't posted in quite some time.  I haven't been doing any upholstery either.  Shame on me.  Still stitching though.  I'll never give it up.

I recently bought a pretty nice Bernina/Chandler 217.  I found it on Craigslist in the Dallas area (not terribly far from me) at a decent price and thought, why the hell not.  LOL.

I will be calling Bob Kovar soon to order another servo.  The one I bought from him a couple of months ago is great.  Hell, Bob is great!

The reason for my post is I'm looking for parts/accessories for the 217.  The machine has the cam box but unfortunately, did not come with any cams.  It also only came with one foot, the satin stitch foot which will be good to have when I get my hands on some cams.

I'm looking for feet, cams and a knee lifter.  I know a few of you guys have the 217.  If you have any extra accessories that you would like to sell please let me know.  Also, if you know of a good place to get parts for it that would be great also.

Another part in need is in the tension assembly.  This machine has two top tension assemblies.  Not a true double needle.  On one of the tension assemblies it looks as if the pin may be broken off because the tension discs do not release when the presser foot is raised.  I've peered behind the tension assembly at the part that releases the tension and the right-side tension dial pin is either too short or is broken off.  The left-side tension assembly is fine.  I've currently got the machine threaded through the left tension assembly and the stitch is very nice. 

I also understand that the 217 will handle #69 thread.  I won't be doing upholstery on this machine.  it will be used for window treatments, pillows, etc.  The #69 thread probably won't be an issue for me.

Thanks in advance and I hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend.

Jeremy

Tejas

I got after market cams -- the H1 and H2 multi-point, multi-step cams -- from ebay. While not made of steel, I've had no problems.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BERNINA-217-Decorative-Stitch-Cams-Sewing-Machine-Ornamental-Automatic-/400716149406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4c8b329e

I've successfully sewed with up to #92 thread.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

Tejas

Dave

DDandJ

Thanks, Dave.  The parts manual is quite helpful.

Do you have a knee lifter on your 217?  By looking at the machine and the parts manual I think a generic knee lifter will work.  I'm sure an original is impossible to find.

Sure wish I could find some of the feet and attachments shown in the parts manual.  How do machines always get separated from their parts?  Ha ha.

BTW, I ordered a generic cam from eBay.  Glad to hear you've not had any problems with yours.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Tejas

I have an original knee lift, oil pan, several feet but no spares, several decorative cams, bobbins and even bobbin winder although I'm using an after market bobbin winder.

I also have an original user manual, parts manual, adjustment manual and even marketing materials. I could scan and eMail a copy of the adjustment
Dave

Mojo

Jeremy:

When you talk with " Old Bob " ask him if he has anything for your 217. I have been in Bob's shop before and he has racks and racks of old machines. He said he has even more at home. I bet he has several hundred used machines plus new ones. He typically has alot of hard to find parts or knows where to get them.

One of the greatest parts of visiting Bob was seeing his antique machine collection. He has machines I have never heard of or seen pictures of. Some are amazing and all part of his private collection. If Bobbin ever went into his shop she would stay for a few days just to play with all the antique machines he has.

I thought he just sold new machines and parts till I visited him one day. Good gawd that guy is a machine hoarder. I think he has enough machines to supply all the upholsterers in the country. He attends auctions and will buy numerous machines, bring them back, recondition them and then sell them.

His inventory is quite extensive. Check with him to see if he has anything for your Bermina.

Chris

DDandJ

Dave you're one lucky fella to have all those original accessories.  I'm learning that original accessories for these machines are scarce.  Luckily, high shank feet are readily available and cheap.  I ordered the generic knee lifter.  I've been studying my two other industrials with the generic knee lifters and I think it will work.  I would love to have the adjustment manual you mentioned.  Can you post it here or do you need my email addy?

Chris, I took your advice and called Bob about parts and accessories.  Unfortunately he doesn't have anything for the Bernina/Chandlers.  Thanks for the advice and it was worth a shot.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Tejas

May 29, 2014, 10:55:41 am #7 Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:17:12 am by Tejas
For the adjustment manual, would you please send a PM. I've scanned the document as six, two-up pdf pages, some up to about 2MB per page.

I've also scanned the manual as a single pdf of just over 13 MB.

I could send the pages in separate eMails, the whole document in a single eMail or hard copy by snail mail.

Just tell me how you would prefer to receive it.
Dave

BJJACKO47

Hi, sorry to bring up an old thread.  I have picked up a Bernina 217 and am after a copy of an adjustment manual.  If anyone has one could you please let me know.  Thanks,

Brett