Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:16:04 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How Furniture is made today----

Started by baileyuph, August 13, 2017, 08:29:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

With the replacement cost of a recliner in the $ 400.00 range folks will toss it when it ages out and buy new.
I'm amused by the customers who call and ask if I can just recover the front seat,   
They have also inquired if it could be done in a real leather to match the vinyl everywhere else.  Also they ask if I can check the footrest mechanism that is catching something when it goes up and down.   
I've never repaired a recliner for a private customer - the only repairs for me are with a manufacturer's issue and the store calls it in -
SA

baileyuph

Repairing Recliners made recently:

I do a lot of repairs; that include mechanism, wood framing, and upholstery.

If it requires a replacement mechanism, upholstery component(s) - the parts
can be obtained by/from manufacturer.  Most wood repairs (if not all) I "saw" and
am usually able to made stronger than new.

From observation, people are bigger today and challenge the furniture a lot more,
often.  For example with the footrest in the up position, they will exit and re-enter
the chair with it in that position - which often leads to warping the mechanism.

Regarding the price of these recliners (I work on), well  not the expensive variety, but above $400.  Say more like in excess of $600.

I don't mind working on them, it is all in a days work, but seeing the disregard
for furniture by these BIG people tells me it is time to move on to something other
than recliners because it doesn't look like consumers are going to change - weight
or habits.

Doyle