Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:51:41 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

working with stripes

Started by lizzieb, September 21, 2017, 11:31:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lizzieb

A few years ago I gave a quote on redoing a wing back chair with a matching footstool and a fairly large love seat with attached pillows on back.  The customer has purchased the fabric herself and when I went to pick up the pieces discovered she chose multi colored stripes that have 5 different colors in a 1 1/2 stripe!  I told her my quote was not for stripes and it would be 1.5 times the amount I quoted.  Is this too low?  Should I charge her a flat hourly rate plus whatever materials I use?  Should my shop rate be different if I am just ripping things down rather than cutting and sewing?  I am already loosing sleep over this and haven't even started!

sofadoc

Although I do occasionally raise my rates on a case-by-case basis, I generally don't charge any extra for stripes.

The possibility that the customer will run out and buy a more difficult fabric is already factored in to my original quote.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

sofa: Now that's a smart idea.

MinUph

The only up charge I have based on cover choice is Genuine Leather. And that is do to the extra time to cut properly. Stripes and patterns are all normal work in Upholstery.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

September 21, 2017, 05:30:09 pm #4 Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:34:14 pm by kodydog
We charge a little more for stripes especially for a stripe like you describe. But my bigger concern would be honoring a two year old quote. We honor our quotes for 6 months, maybe longer if we need the work and maybe longer for a good customer. If you're loosing sleep over it charge more and tell her why. Don't take a job you feel uncomfortable about. If you tell her up front the chances are the customer will accept your new quote.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

Not only has the original estimate expired - don't things in general cost more today than 2 years ago.  Did she give you a deposit to hold down the price ?   Also the wing chair with strips would cause me to loose sleep as well trying to get the inside wings to match the adjoining panels -
Check that.... more like cause me to drink :)
SA

sofadoc

I once gave a lady an estimate of $155 to do her window cushion.

She immediately pulled a piece of paper out of her purse and showed it to me. 
It was a torn off sheet of notebook paper that just said "Labor on cushion $25". She said that my mother gave her that estimate 2 years earlier.

I explained to her that the quote had no letterhead or signature. It didn't specify what type of cushion. And it didn't include labor and foam. But the main reason that I had no intention of honoring that estimate was that my mother had been dead for 7 years at the time.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

Way out of my ability, though did want to recommend a day or month limit on your estimates. I do like when others think or mention machine time. Its been a real good measurement in my past, and so always an interest.  Unless they are at the top of the food chain and you mention to take their hourly wage i would use another path. I always like that : )

Good day
Floyd

lizzieb

Thanks for all the responses - I have until June to get these done so I can take my time.  Going to start on the chair today. I'll keep you posted!!!
Liz