Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:00:50 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Coil springs

Started by 65Buick, September 11, 2017, 10:49:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

This is interesting. They covered the springs with duck cloth (sewn into pockets) before attaching them together.

The seat springs I'm hoping to replace the covering (one at a time - bottom, then top) and basically keep the spring assembly tied together.

http://gdurl.com/psiy

SteveA

Almost looks like marshall units.  Was there any dacron or foam on the arms ?
SA

65Buick

September 11, 2017, 12:27:38 pm #2 Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:39:53 pm by 65Buick
yes the ib and arms were covered with 2" foam  & a layer of cotton.

Looks like you can buy pre-made marshall units which is nice if I don't want to take the time to do so.

MinUph

I use to get these springs from Mattresses Simons I believe. We would buy them from return or defective units. They came in handy for some jobs.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Joys Shop

They are marshal units.   some people use them when the customer doesn't want to pay for properly tied springs

65Buick

I bought replacement marshall units. Now I'm wondering if I should have just used foam and hole saw.

grrr. so many questions.

kodydog

My thought is you have the springs and the frame is set up for marshall units, why not use them? If you decide to use foam only do not despair. It is always good to have marshall units on hand. You will use them eventually.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

I have reused marshall coils but the assumption is these coils need new covering (muslin cloth is often
the covering)?

Now, looking at the bottom cushion area, ties coils there?

What condition is the 2" foam covering the marshall  coils?

Now that you have the upholstery off the tufted back, the geometry of the button placement can
be understood (horizontal and vertical placements as well as the tuft distance the buttons are pulled
to).  Very important because of the button horizontal and vertical placement formula for buttons.  The
button  depth obviously plays a part in appearance of the final diamond tuft but fullness of tuft as
well.  The appearance of the removed upholstery did suggest that the built up back padding needs
to be firmer.  Button depth is as important as all the the other issues.

Looking at the upholstery on the backrest before removal, there appeared to be encouragement to make or increase the backrest padding firm(er).  This issue will need to be addressed as you proceed
to get a nice looking tightly tufted back.  Button depth can be too deep as well as not deep enough.
Hence, the focus on padding and firmness of it.

Have fun.

Doyle

65Buick

November 24, 2017, 09:04:23 am #8 Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 12:40:23 pm by 65Buick
When I begin to tie the springs, is there an easy way to make them the correct height?
And with re-using the tacks, I don't need to worry about them backing out, do I?

http://gdurl.com/Zu_8

Edit

This spring tying stuff is hard. I noticed in many instructional videos that two tacks are used and the twine is wrapped in a figure 8. On this piece, the twine was tied on one tack only, with a knot I assume to be some sort of slip knot.

I actually think so far this is the hardest thing yet.

MinUph

This is called a spring edge. You have to tie the main ties to make the coils the correct height then tie the front edge wire also. I have never reused nails so I can't say that is good or bad but there is not enough for the job. There will be two tacks next to each other then another on the side of each row of springs. This is on the front rail. You will notice all the ties are looped and not knotted on each spring. This is why the job failed. Use knots everywhere. Loops just slip around. YouTube can be good if you have a good person producing the video./ Look for a better one.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

November 28, 2017, 06:54:12 am #10 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:58:30 am by kodydog
You can reuse the tacks but do not reuse the same holes. Most of your tacks will be badly bent, throw those away. You will need to buy a box of tax.

Spring tying is hard. That's why most upholsterers just say screw it and cover over it.

Explaining the steps and procedure to get a good outcome is difficult without being there. Like Paul said study several different videos on u-tube.

When tying springs keep in mind the goal is to end up with a flat surface. The hard part is getting those middle springs pulled down.

I find the edge wire to be a real nuisance when retying springs. Most upholsterers like to leave it on because once you take it off you have to figure out how to reattach it. I'm fortunate to have a Hartco crimp gun so I almost always remove it and reattach it half way through the job.

When tying springs with a spring edge not only do you have to make all the springs are the same height but make sure all of the front springs are even with the front edge of the front rail. If you don't you will have a big mess when you get ready to upholster the seat front.

Another thing with a spring edge is you want to make sure it is fairly stiff when finished. A soft spring edge is no good. It will feel spongy when you sit on it. It would be difficult to explain the steps to make a stiff spring edge here. Pay close attention to the utube video when they are explaining this method. If I get time I'll see if I can find a good video for you to watch.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

Won't lie. Spring tying has got me disheartened.

I don't believe I'll make it to toe-tying, Kody.

MinUph

I can't imagine learning to tie springs without watching someone who knew how many many times. And then being taught how to from them. It isn't easy but isn't that hard once you understand what is being done. It is hard on the hands. Be ready for sore fingers. I use to end up with masking tape of the blisters after springing a couple of sofas in a day.
  You first want to remove all those old twines to get them out of the way. Take a picture of it now as the ties don't look like they are misplaced much. And remember tie knots anywhere you wrap around a spring or another twine.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Yes for sure learning how myself won't be easy.
I did leave all the old there for reference.
But I am dedicated to furniture upholstery. I remember how hard other things were, and now it's nothing. I did find it helped using scrap fabric to hold the edges down while I figure out the rest.

Brittais

November 30, 2017, 12:55:39 am #14 Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 12:38:45 am by Brittais
Quote from: 65Bufick on November 29, 2017, 12:19:14 pm
Yes for sure learning how myself won't be easy.
I did leave all the old there for reference.
But I am dedicated to furniture upholstery. I remember how to use the sizegenetics hard other things were, and now it's nothing. I did find it helped using scrap fabric to hold the edges down while I figure out the rest.

You'll get there, it just takes practice!