Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 22, 2024, 11:19:22 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hurricane Irma

Started by kodydog, September 11, 2017, 07:24:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

September 11, 2017, 07:24:50 am Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:50:33 am by kodydog
Marco Island was about to take a direct hit when our power went out. Ft Myers was right up the coast. My sister lives near the coast in Clearwater and she is without power but faired well.

Half of Florida is without power. The St Johns river in Jacksonville is 1 foot above record level and still rising. Parts of Gainesville are flooded. Hogtown creek always floods.

We are doing fine. The power is back on. Lots of wind and 11" of rain last night. Some trees are down in the neighborhood but nothing like the newscasters are trying to show. When the storm hit land it lost speed and reporters were scrambling to find damage. They were showing small trees down and wading around in ankle deep water. One guy's hat kept blowing off as he was trying to convince us he was standing in hurricane force winds.  

There are several Forum friends near the west coast of Florida. Hope you are all doing well.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on September 11, 2017, 07:24:50 am
......but nothing like what the newscasters are trying to show. When the storm hit land it lost speed and reporters were scrambling to find damage. They were showing small trees down and wading around in ankle deep water. One guy's hat kept blowing off as he was trying to convince us he was standing in hurricane force winds. 
The Weather Channel makes their money for the entire year when they have a hurricane to cover. It gets old watching one of their reporters standing half-bent fighting high winds.

Glad you guys are doing OK. And also glad that it seems like the news crews may have overblown the severity.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

I understand the need to alert people to stay safe. It looks like for the most part, they did. But what I don't like is them sensationalizing it and making 'entertainment' for everyone else. It's ridiculous.

Anyway it looks like for the most part everything is ok, but I think maybe the storm surge hasn't hit yet.

MinUph

We just got our power back on. Water was off till this morning. And cell service was nil. But we made it and were very luck up here in Spring Hill. A few homes were damaged by tress but all in all we made it through easy. Kody on the other hand probably wasn't so lucky it was still very powerful in the south.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: 65Buick on September 11, 2017, 02:28:35 pm
Good to hear Paul. Has anyone heard from Kody?
He started this thread.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

OOOO Sofa signs of age or what LOL
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

I'm fine, we're in north central Florida. 60 mph winds woke me several times last night. Working in the shop today and heard several loud pops and lots of buzzing. Then the power went off again. Every time the power goes off I wonder how long before it comes back on. Days or weeks? this time it was only 2 hours. Duke Energy is on top of it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

brmax

Im glad to hear you guys are doing better, and hope Mike, Chris and so many others down there are better as well. A lot we know, now use different facebook places and wish them the same.

good evening to ya
Floyd

Grebo

Glad to hear you guys are all ok.

Mojo

We survived with little problem. We did lose power for about 8 hours. I had one large Oak tree come down ( roots and all ) and I got that taken care of yesterday. No damage to the house or property.

I stayed in  touch with Mike the whole time and he fared well considering he was in a hard hit area. Him and John and the dogs spent 2 nights in a shelter as he was in a mandatory evacuation zone. He was going in yesterday to check on his sop and I have not heard how that went or if there was any damage.

It blew about 70 MPH with gusts to 95 MPH in our area. We were very lucky we had no damage. Our shop is fine as well and has power.

Mojo