Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 03:22:13 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

When Client offers to "Assist" Teardown - to cut costs

Started by D3Gilmore, July 15, 2017, 01:01:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

Photobucket is still working for me -I have  better luck using IE.  I find that after the adds open and you x out of them you can get to the posters photo but it takes some navigating.   I can do it on my phone as well.  I think PB has somewhat backed off their threat to demand a fee.
SA

MinUph

When I look at a photo on Photobucket I get garbage. And the other day I got a notice that I was infected and needed to do something. It was malware and I got that once before there. I wont be back to Photobucket.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on July 17, 2017, 04:37:54 am
When I look at a photo on Photobucket I get garbage. And the other day I got a notice that I was infected and needed to do something. It was malware and I got that once before there. I wont be back to Photobucket.
I noticed that Deanna's pic was linked to Google drive. It opened just fine. When I tried to use Google drive here on this forum a couple weeks ago, everyone had to email me for permission to view it.

What did I do wrong? I'll be happy to use Google drive to post my pics here if it works better.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

sofadoc

Quote from: D3Gilmore on July 16, 2017, 09:42:09 pm
It is a full-size bed. This isn't going to be light to transport. (Maybe I should have her remove the sleeper 😬)
If you remove the mattress and tie the mechanism (so it won't flop out when you tilt it through a doorway), then it really isn't any heavier than a normal sofa.

The customer might want to re-think no skirt. It's likely the mechanism will show. And on the sides of the sofa, the frame may taper off below the skirt line, so you would have to add wood. Make sure that your frame will accept nail heads everywhere you want to put them.

The feet are most likely screw-on, so changing them shouldn't be a problem.

Tufted back? Converting a plain back to a tufted one is a bit ambitious for a first-timer. You'll have to drill holes in the foam.

I could do that piece back just like it is now in 8-10 hours. Making all those changes could easily add another 4-5 hours.

Don't be intimidated because it's a sleeper. Since sleepers have no spring base to re-tie or re-work, they're actually quicker and easier than a regular sofa.

kodydog

Consider how you will attach the legs. If they are some type of screw in leg (bun leg?) you will need a corner block to screw it into. Most hide-a-beds don't have corner blocks. If you are going to add corner blocks make sure they will not interfere with the motion of the bed.

As far as time. Its really hard to figure time for someone else without knowing how fast they are. But my best guess for that sofa without a skirt and not including P/U and delivery, not including the time for the estimate and not including any modifications. About 3-1/2 days.

Your just getting started and I bet your prices are still pretty low. If you estimate 5 days your price should still be competitive.  
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

Doc - 8-10 hours .......... you're like Superman -
Takes me 4 days to do a foot stool

SA

D3Gilmore

SofaDoc, I have been using Google Docs over other photosharing apps because I use my phone for everything and I can upload my pics via a Google Drive App to my Google Drive and then access from all my devices.  I need less pics on my phone, more in the cloud. It takes some navigating, but I'm getting the hang of it and can make only 1 photo sharable in a folder that has all my other pics that I may not necessarily want to share.

Kodydog, thank you for the input on the sofa.  Definitely need to go look at it and make a more informed decision when I see it.

I have done a wingback that was tufted.  It was my first major endeavor into upholstery so I'm not so intimidated by it - but it's definitely more work.  I could use some refining of my skill so practice makes better practice!

Here's a few pics of that wingback for the heck of it....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_b-s34UOXi1VFJMaFhKUVUwWWM/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_b-s34UOXi1YVJfV1FKLXlid1E/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_b-s34UOXi1MGpnRTNRWE14MUk/view?usp=sharing

I have an "hourly rate" I'm trying to stay at but if it takes me longer, I don't want to gouge the client since I'm learning on her dime. I would prefer not to tuft, but if I did, do you charge extra per tuft, or just based on time?

I typically charge $5/ft for nailhead or piping, $2/button.  Is this reasonable or typically not broken down to the client?

kodydog

On especially heavy sofa beds I like to drop the bed and carry the sofa and bed out as two separate units. Once the bed is removed the sofa is very light. Make sure to put a blanket under the sofa before dropping the bed to protect the floor.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

When I pull a hide a bed mech I stand the sofa on it's arm and then take the mech out the bottom. On  a rolled arm like that you may need to put a block of wood under the bottom of the arm to get it to stand up straight.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

carrscorner.com has an article on figuring overhead and a chart showing times to reupholster.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Quote from: Darren Henry on July 18, 2017, 04:38:05 am
When I pull a hide a bed mech I stand the sofa on it's arm and then take the mech out the bottom. On  a rolled arm like that you may need to put a block of wood under the bottom of the arm to get it to stand up straight.

Me 2
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

I method I like for removing the spring on a sofa bed ......
Open the bed completely, remove the mattress.  Lift the front leaf off the ground to a vertical position.  Tip the sofa forward on its knees and there will be an opening where you can easily get to all the bolts
SA

MinUph

Quote from: SteveA on July 20, 2017, 08:22:50 am
I method I like for removing the spring on a sofa bed ......
Open the bed completely, remove the mattress.  Lift the front leaf off the ground to a vertical position.  Tip the sofa forward on its knees and there will be an opening where you can easily get to all the bolts
SA

Yes we forgot to mention opening the mech one stage.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Deanna:

This is what I was talking about in regards to leaving the skirt off a previously skirted sleeper.

The mechanism will be exposed. You'll have to add wood.

D3Gilmore

Sofadoc, great example. Thank you. I have an appointment to meet with the client next week and will raise this issue when I inspect the couch. I'm not holding my breath she will pay my price but I have gotten other work from clients once I came into the home.