Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:02:12 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Seat Back Vinyl

Started by 65Buick, July 11, 2017, 05:53:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

This is really my first experience working with vinyl. It is hard b/c you don't get a second chance in the sewing process. My first one came out beautifully except I used my knee to lift the presser foot going around the corner and somehow forgot to let it back down, ruining that corner. I had the boxing in one strip, making life easy. Did not have enough to do that again, so had to sew the boxing together, making life hard.

Any feedback is welcome. And Paul don't worry that dacron is going away. ;)

http://gdurl.com/9ugk

MinUph

Hey we use Dacron in place of cotton for most jobs now. Working with Vinyl is different but not so bad once you get the feel of it. Heat makes it work much easier. I remember when I was in Syracuse NY and it was winter, even with the heat on the vinyl would be very stiff to work with. We never experience that down here. But a heat gun is in use with 80% of vinyl jobs nowadays. It just makes it that much better and easier to work with.
  Resewing vinyl can be done if you just take a small amount of seam inside the original.
  One thing to notice on normal vinyls is that the stretch is usually across the roll. You can use this to your advantage. Think about that when your planning the cutting.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Lol, I recently bought my very first heat gun at a estate sale. The first time I used it was on some soft and thin vinyl. Yeah, I got it a little too hot and ruined it. Live and learn.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

It was a warm day here so it was actually pretty easy to work with. Right now it's just temp tacked into place. I might let it warm in the sun before I tack it permanently.

Thanks for the tip on stretch. I wouldn't have guessed. I don't know what I did because before I cut it down to shape i cut out a 24" square. For the seat I have it marked out so that the stretch will be front to back. Not the best but not able to change it now.