Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 01:28:49 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Patio Cushions - Foam Suggestions

Started by D3Gilmore, July 07, 2017, 05:41:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

D3Gilmore

I have poured through all the previous posts regarding outdoor patio cushions hoping to get a definitive answer as to what I should use for my client's 6 patio cushions.  I've read that Nu-Foam isn't really great and is firm, EZ-Dri also not that comfortable (but made for outside use), compressed batting too firm (but also ideal for outdoor use) and that even indoor foam w/a dacron wrap is suitable for outdoor use (although not necessary to be left out in the rain).

I have opened my client's old cushions and there looks to be just the typical 2" indoor foam with what looks like the compressed batting around it.

1) I want comfort for the client, but not something so expensive, I can't afford the shipping expense (as a small home-based business).

2) If I just replicate what the client already has (indoor foam w/batting), I at least want the durability of a good foam (suggested compression and IDL??)

I would appreciate everyone's input as to what is their "go to" product for their typical outdoor patio cushions.  Here in central California, we don't have severe winters.

I've been looking at DIYUpholsterysupplies.com as well as Albany Foam and even Batt-Mart for pricing.  Once I have a plan, I was going to price shipping costs.  Are there any that don't gouge you on shipping?  I really don't have any local suppliers I can rely on to buy my foam/batting in bulk.

Thanks for your input!

kodydog

July 07, 2017, 08:05:50 pm #1 Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:10:10 pm by kodydog
If these are going on a typical wood frame 2" foam is going to be hard no mater what density you get. But if that is all you have to work with, and I mean height wise then the next thing to consider is comfort level. Everybody has a different one. My favorite is 18/33. Now some may say this is too firm and others may say this is too soft. Like I said its all about comfort level. Another problem is I've bought 18/33 from different suppliers and I swear the density is different from one to another. Foam can be a real pita.

Now when it comes to the customer don't even bother to bring up those numbers. Unless you like the sight of spinning eyeballs. We offer soft, median or firm. Okay so here is the deal with firm. Every time the customer says they want "hard as a brick" it comes back to bite us. So when a customer says they want firm I give them 18/33 and I've never missed yet.

So, here is the deal. We have 4 sample pieces. Yes only 4,  more than that and they spend way too much time deciding. We let them try 18/33, that's our medium, in 3" and 4". Beware, the thicker the foam the denser it feels. And we offer soft 18/28. 3" and 4". This works not only for seat foam but back foam also. And then when we get back to the shop we use what ever we have available. Joking, juuuust joking.

In my shed, we keep 1", 2", 3" and 4" of both densities and a few others. If someone needs 5" I glue a piece of 4' to a piece of 1". For most dining seats 1-1/2" 18/33 works really good.

There are more expensive foams with higher numbers that may last a little longer but pound for pound this works for us.

As far as outdoor use, if its under cover I don't worry about it. Regular polyurethane foam works well. I tell my customers never leave cushions in the elements. Its up to them to decide.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

D3Gilmore

Kodydog,

Thanks for your input.  That is really helpful and will take your suggestion and limit my samples and foam options.  I want to buy half-sheets/full-sheets of foam for the best pricing but I just don't have a lot of space for storage, nor do I want to outlay $$ when I'm not sure I'll need it next. 

For this project, it looks like the cushions were sitting on top of a metal frame, rather than wood.  I have a "soft" foam on hand that really is similar to what I'm pulling out of their current cushions, so I may just use what I have and order some 18/28 and 18/33 for future projects.

On a sidenote, I have some clear poly welting cord on hand.  The client's other cushions have foam welting.  Would you use what you've got or match the client's existing?  Not sure I'm making a bigger deal out of what the welting is made from other than one is hard and one is soft.

kodydog

Here in Florida outdoor cushions are a big business. In some of the bigger cities a person could make a living just making patio cushions. We take all we can get, its good money and if the customer wants a custom fabric and fit they can't go to the store and buy them. I bring this up because of your welt question. I wouldn't go wild buying a bunch of supplies until you figure out what direction you want to go. Your poly welt should work fine. As you get busy and start making money you can add to your inventory. A 10' X 20' shed holds a lot of supplies. We use standard braided welt for everything. Like I said we suggest not to leave cushions out in the elements. Most of our customers have some type of shelter to get out of this blazing Florida sun. By the way, good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on July 07, 2017, 08:05:50 pm
Okay so here is the deal with firm. Every time the customer says they want "hard as a brick" it comes back to bite us.
I only give the customer 2 choices. Medium or firm. Depending on their budget, I have 2 mediums and 2 firms to choose from. 22/35 and 22/50 (cheaper), or 27/35 and 27/50 (higher).

For upholstery jobs, I normally use the 27/35.

For just cushion replacements (when they say they want it hard as a brick) I give them 27/50. It isn't rock hard like they "think" they want. Like K-dog says, it'll come back to bite you.

I get mine from US Foam. Free shipping on orders over $100.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

D3Gilmore

I went ahead and ordered 2" 2.7/35lb and 3" 1.8/35lb foam from US Foam.  I just received the 2" (as I ordered it first).

My client now messaged me that she is having a BBQ and would like her cushions by Wednesday.

Here is my delimma: I looked at her original foam and it was 2" with a coarse batting inside. I therefore quoted her a replacement foam of 2" with batting.  However, since my boxing is actually 3", it was recommended my foam match my boxing thickness so it's a tighter fit (which is why I subsequently ordered 3"). 

I know I can finish this project with 2" foam/batting by Wednesday.  But I know 3" would look "better" and make the cushions more cushy. 

I wasn't going to charge the client for the 3" - I felt upgrading her to the 3" was my call and going to benefit the client overall and would speak to how I value my client relationship.

What would you do?  The 2.7 is very comfy, but I'm sure 1" would be even better and tighter.  I can fill in the extra with batting, but not sure if it would be too "fluffy".  Not sure I will get the 3" in time.  I will call US Foam on Monday, but it's a gamble to wait to the last minute.

Thoughts?

sofadoc

Personally, I don't like the flat look of just foam with no batting. I would cut the boxing down to 2.5" or maybe 2.75" and use the 2" foam with batting.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

I think yes the 3" would look a tad nicer & be more comfy. But, if you're pressed for time the 2" will still look and feel good.

Also, I recently made myself a 3" outdoor cushion with ez-dri. 2.0/50.
Just a personal preference but I find it really comfortable. It is firm at first and after a few minutes feels really nice. I'm also only 160lb.

kodydog

Call the supplier Monday and see if the 3" foam can be delivered by Tuesday. That way you can be working on the casings and still have them all delivered by Wednesday. You are cutting it close but do-able.

Everybody does it slightly different but I generally cut my boxing 1/2" bigger than the foam. That way the cushion finishes 1/2" smaller than the foam. Then Dacron wrap top, front and bottom.

D3Gilmore

Thank you all for your help on this project.  The client was thrilled and I couldn't be more glad to get them out the door.

Here is a pic of the finished cushions.  I have to say I think I've learned everything NOT to do for the next time ;)

Thanks again,

Deana

Before:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_b-s34UOXi1cmpfbE1EMVNSaW8/view?usp=sharing

After:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_b-s34UOXi1bV9IUHhza0xuWk0/view?usp=sharing