Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 07:23:43 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Heat / Sound insulation.

Started by Grebo, June 30, 2017, 07:02:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

June 30, 2017, 07:02:33 am Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:02:58 am by Grebo
Hi all, as you may know I don't do car's, I do the floaty things for a job.
So I have a question for you, we are renovating a 1996 Roadtrek RV, Dodge ram 5200 for ourselves. On our first small trip we found out how hot the floor gets, most of it. Having ripped some of the carpet out it turns out that there is no insulation under the carpet anywhere.
What would you suggest we put down onto the metal parts of the chassis to reduce the heat transfer.
Bear in mind we are in Europe so please don't quote your local suppliers..  ;)  

Thanks.

Darren Henry

July 01, 2017, 07:16:45 am #1 Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 07:26:16 am by Darren Henry
Hey Suzi, long time no read. That must be a huge motorhome. My Dodge pick up is a 3/4 ton and it is only a 2500. [tee-hee]

I would use uni-deck. your suppliers may call it something else. It's a roll good about 6mm thick that looks like dryer lint glued together. It is often used in automotive for just what you want.

QuoteFIBRE-DECK / UNI-DECK
Strong insulating pad. Also called deck pad. Use over springs in furniture
and mattresses or as an economy grade carpet underlay in cars, vans and
RV's. Meets F/R requirements of UFAC and California Technical Bulletin 117
Section D Part 1.
1/4" thick 150 foot rolls.
Sold by the roll.
24" wide
S
6210-24
27" wide
S 6210-27

From page 13 of George n Jackson's catalog. I know you can't order from there, but it may be able to help your suppliers who probably call it something else. At the bottom of this page you can go into their catalog and there is a picture with the description I pasted above. Hope that helps.

http://www.jackson.ca/GNJ%20Auto.htm
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Rich

Check out products like Dyna Mat or similar. Mainly for sound insulation, but I think if it has a foil back, heat insulation as well. The jute described by Darren (some with a foil lining for extra heat insulation) over that and you should be good to go.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Grebo

July 04, 2017, 04:03:31 am #4 Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 04:05:50 am by Grebo
Sorry been inundated with people giving me money for just a stitch here & there, you know what I mean.

::)  I don't know why I put 5200, must be the heat.

So we got the same motor then, don't they sound nice  :)
We are actually getting quite a few Dodge parts from Rock auto, I guess they might have something as well.

Lots to look at there, thank you all, will go off googling now.