Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:53:43 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

email awareness - warning

Started by gene, May 25, 2017, 06:49:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

May 25, 2017, 06:49:29 pm Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 05:14:11 am by gene
I got an email from a customer asking me to review the attached document. It was a PDF file. I downloaded the file and ran a scan check on it. It was OK. I sometime get PDF files from customers.

I opened the PDF file and it had a link button to google cloud where the document was stored. I clicked the link button and the google cloud window popped up. I needed to log in with my email address and password, as usual.

Being either computer savvy and always practicing safe internet protocol, or just being paranoid as a turkey on Thanksgiving, or both, I looked over the web page. I noticed that the address line said "Not secure". I closed all the windows and called the customer and told her what I had. She was very apologetic and said she had indeed been hacked.

If I had been just a bit more complacent and functioned out of habit, I would have given the hackers my email address and password. They would then have sent a similar email to all the email addresses I have.

Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we first practice to deceive.

You're not paranoid if they really are out to get you.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Yes Gene, you can't be too careful anymore online. There are so many scams, coming out daily that it has become a hard place to navigate securely. Be vigilant everyone. It is no joke.

These ransomware malware problems are particularly scary. I have purchased a couple USB hard drive for system backups and disconnect the drives after backing up so they are not available to be seen.

If you have ever lost your data you will understand what is at stake. It is not a good feeling to have happen for any reason. Protect yourself if you rely on your computers for important and or private data.

Keep updated with the latest windows updates. Keep current with the OS in general.

A new version of Windows 10 came out today Windows 10 Creators Update. When it hits your machine take it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

I got the exact same email from a reliable source who does sometimes send me photos connected to another site.  I use MS with full time security essentials running and when I'm not sure I have malwarebytes as a back up.  It's the free version and doesn't run in real time.  I drag the subject file to the desk top - right click on it and run the malwarebytes scan.  Between those two programs, the browser settings, and the fire wall I've remained safe.  Regarding the link you mention - that particular day I was off guard and went through the steps and opened the file without scanning because the source was known - it turned out they were hacked.  It wasn't a dangerous file - just one of those hacks that try to install a program to see where you search or get your email contacts.  I deleted all the cookies, temp searches, and ran both anti malware scans to check the c drive.  Essentials didn't find anything but malwarebytes snagged two files they said should be deleted.  Lucky they weren't the type of hacks that lock up your documents.  I have to be more careful when opening files.
I tried Windows 10 on a friends computer and didn't like it at all - I'll stay with 7 as long as I can.  10 reminds me of vista which gave me a lot of trouble.  7 has been the best OS I've had to date
SA

kodydog

Our dishwasher is about 6 months old. Last weekend I noticed something on the door was peeling off. Plastic? So I went online to try to figure out what was going on. I found a site explaining this plastic is used in shipping and should be stripped off. While I'm reading this info a message box appeared and a lady asks if I need any help. I explained I already found my answer. She said for their records please type the make and model. So I did. She thanked me and said I would receive an invoice for $28??? Then she quickly clicked off, and so did I. The thing is I never signed up for anything. I didn't agree to anything. They don't have my billing address and I haven't received anything in my inbox. I wonder how they think they are going to invoice me? 
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

That's wild (you have a dishwasher?)  I find myself looking over everything more and more.  It's time you have to invest you aren't compensated for.   I sent a ck to the credit card company for $ 600.00.  It never got there and a day before I have an alert set which triggers an email.  I called - no check ever got there which I mailed with 15 days to go before it was due.  I did an on line transfer to make sure I wasn't late.  To stop the ck they want $ 35.00 so I figured I'd wait because no one else can cash it except the bank.  It's been 3 months - today I went on line to check - I'm locked out of the account.  Had to call - change my password - spend 15 minutes on the phone with them - wanted to punch someone.
It's all good when it works but so many glitches - you have to be on guard - maybe this isn't as easy as the old way
SA