Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:00:19 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How can I re-attach the hog ring bar to automotive seat cushion foam

Started by tf87, June 04, 2017, 01:20:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tf87

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and new to upholstery. I'm trying to learn as I go. I am working on a 2006 F150. The driver's seat cushion vinyl is torn and I'm going to replace it. But also the hog ring bar attached to the foam was pulled off. Is there any way to re-attach the bar or should the whole cushion be replaced?

Darren Henry

Welcome to the board. If the rod is only ripped off in places I have reattached them with a strip of fabric like denim and foam adhesive.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

tf87

Thank you! They are ripped completely off and attached to the cover. I'm trying to figure out a way to fix this without buying a new cushion.

MinUph

Can you run the listings down through the frames and attach on the bottom? Even if you just use wire twines to get through the base.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

tf87

I have thought about that and I think that is going to be the only option unless there is some super strong foam glue to hold the listing in place while the cushion cover is attached. I'm thinking I might can find some type of material that is strong yet flexible to use under the cushion to tie the listing in place and kind of sandwich the foam between the two, if that makes sense... On another note what is the best type of glue to use for foam?

MinUph

We use a foam cement. I dont know the name of the product but Kgrip glue is another glue that is for foam.
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Adhesives_and_Sprays/Bulk_Adhesives/K-Grip_Adhesive_Spray/index.html
Just not what my supplier has in stock these days. It is not strong enough to do the listing bar but it is good for foam. The bar you working with must have been attached to something stronger than just the foam. It wouldn't hold just glued to foam. I may have been molded into the foam.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website