Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 11:27:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Making double welt cord - Several ways but.......

Started by baileyuph, May 13, 2017, 07:02:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

What works best for you?

I have the feet, fabric folders, but in this case need to make some out of very soft
fabric and thought I would see how others make the stuff.  It usually takes a couple passes
to cover the cord if the folder doesn't work.  The covering won't stay even
as I sew.

Got a better method that works than making two passes to get it covered.  It might
take me two passes to keep the cord material even and straight.

Doing some older style upholstery and need to keep moving with my work load.
You sometimes pick up good idea(s) by asking.

This is 5/32 double cord and the material is real flimsy  velvet which probably
came from place like Jo Ann's.  This COM stuff we all know about sometimes can Happen!

BTW, Kody good job on that pink furniture, saw the picture.  Rose do that?
I am not kidding!  Wink

Doyle

gene

I've never sewn with double cording. I always have used two separate cords.

With stretchy fabric, I sometimes find success in sewing slow with a small stitch length.

Others have said that lessening the foot pressure can help.

I had a job once where I ironed fusible webbing to the back of the fabric and made DB cording. I didn't need too much so it was not too big of a pain.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

I invested in a double welt foot. It has paid for itself again and again. I cut the strip of fabric 2-2 1/4 " ---run it one time through the machine and trim off any excess salvage on the back side.

piece of cake. 
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

65Buick

I'm with Gene here, I just made same and actually just doubled up the flimsy fabric to make it sturdier.

baileyuph

Equipment - Available are the type with the center foot with the deep V.  Plus I have the two feet with both having the double grooves where one basically trucks along behind the
other. 

I was using the !st described and the V foot seemed to be part or perhaps the problem
with keeping the seam and lapping (covering of cord) straight.

Next, need to check how the block style feet (both with double groves) will perform.  This
stretchy material might flow through better.

I will try to make the cover without the folder first.

Some experimenting to do here.

The stitch length was reduced.

Thanks,

Doyle

kodydog

An upholstery friend of mine said she was having a hard tome getting her double welt to come out neat. We stopped by her shop one day to show her how I sew double welt. First thing I noticed she was using cotton and I told her a stiffer weld would work better. So I tried to sew it using the cotton. It looked pretty bad. The following week she ordered the stiffer welt and was amazed at the difference.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

I identify with your comment about stiffer cord, that was used to do mine.  Plus, I used the double welt feet with the block w/double grooves on both feet.  The center V did not work as well.

Another thing, I was particular with the fabric wrap tension/alignment and the pull tension on the fabric.

Came out great!  Got the job done.

Thanks for your comments Kody.

Doyle