Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:34:19 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Era of Settee Advice

Started by D3Gilmore, April 17, 2017, 01:26:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

D3Gilmore

I am looking at purchasing this settee from someone.  I love the lines but am not certain of the age/era.  Has anyone seen something like this before that has a mid-century look but the claw feet and curves make me think it's older than it is.

Is this something more valuable restored or will it be a wash?

Thanks for any advice!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_b-s34UOXi1V0stbVM2RVcxZkE/view?usp=sharing

SteveA

The limited photo doesn't show close up or sides but I would say "Colonial Revival "  and it is older than mid century
SA

gene

April 17, 2017, 04:54:08 pm #2 Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 04:55:05 pm by gene
I don't know about it's date. Is that tiger stripe maple? Is that tiger stripe maple veneer?

Why are the claw feet and scroll work at the top discolored? Why are these parts discolored and the rest of the woodwork appears to be in great shape. Is this discoloration a result of time or vinegar and steel wool?

The indentations in the right inside and back inside lead me to think there may be animal hair or plant fibers underneath. The seat cushion looks like it has a well used down/feather insert.

More pictures may be helpful for others who might know more than me. At this point, between me and Steve, I would go with Steve.

As to it's value, I can't help you there.

Best of luck,

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

Better pictures this time.  Age?  I could live with guessing 80 years plus or minus a little.

The wood?  I guess red maple............or possibly sawed mahogany?

For sure there is quality in it and has a lot of potential.  The 8 way insures to me the age and looks like the cushion was down fill? 

The color looks very sharp with the wood.

Inherent quality the wood and spring up and the rest, there surely are people who would like it.

Thanks for the additional pictures.

Doyle

D3Gilmore

Doyle,

Thanks for your input.  I am looking forward to tearing this down and restoring this.  I've gotten into some woodworking recently but don't want to spend too much time on cleaning and refinishing.  I've used a 50/50 denatured alcohol/water with scotchbrite pad before as well as mineral spirits to clean wood.  Would you suggest anything different?  I just want to clean the gunk off and perhaps use a gel stain to refresh the color. 

On other recent pieces I've done a 1lb cut of 50/50 dewaxed shellac/denatured alcohol to seal the wood before staining so the wood doesn't blotch terribly.

baileyuph

Yes, do what you think is best for the wood without losing the patina, smooth it (s.wool), touch up, and a light gloss to your taste. 

Hopefully, you can find a cloth with natural feel and coolers, then of course follow with decorator items (pillows).  I enjoyed the latest pictures because the brown was brought out in the wood.  There was some red, but not as much.  Those feet, well don't see them every day. 

When you do the tear down, there might be more evidence regarding the vintage of this one. Sometimes, I find the existing upholstery is fairly old and installed with tacks.  History in review.  Your findings could verify older age for this piece.  I usually note if there is evidence of tack holes in the frame and any evidence of how many coverings possibly have been done on a frame.   Just a little extra detective work.  Also, note if that 8-way tie has been redone.  Who knows that piece could be closer to 100 years old!

Wouldn't t be something to find information inside as to who manufactured!

Let us know!

Luck!

Doyle